Can I download OSX restore media (cd / dvd's)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by svedekim, Jul 16, 2010.

1. svedekim macrumors member

Hi guys I have et 2010 mbp. I left my restore media at work, but I would like to play around with boot camp this weekend.

Is there any where I can download the ISO's Or just the entire bootcamp package.

I know OSx is available through various sites. But my cd's specifically says 13" mbp. So Im not sure whether I can just use any OSx disc.

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I'm pretty sure if you know of download sites, they will be all RETAIL versions not specific model discs.

3. gumbyx84 macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

First off: Talking about torrenting ISOs of retail products is usually frowned on around here.

On topic: If I remember correctly (been awhile since I've needed to set up a BootCamp partition), BootCamp Assistant is built into OS X. You only need the disks to get install drivers and you can get the most recent releases free from Apple.

A quick tip: If you decide to keep your BootCamp partition (which I see no reason you wouldnt unless you dont have enough space on HD), I suggest looking into rEFIt. Its a boot loader/menu for EFI systems. Think of it as a graphical GRUB. Makes switching between OSes much easier. Normally, you would have to reboot the machine and hold down Option to choose which partition to boot from. If you don't, you will always boot into the last partition you booted from, let it be Windows or OS X.

4. svedekim thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the heads up. I know it's not ok to DL via torrents. Let me put in another way. Are the media unique to the model or will any disc do it. My better half has the current gen macbook. Will I be able to use those discs, instead of my own?

I will look in to refit, looks cool.

5. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

There are two types of media:

RETAIL: will work on any computer given that the computer is not newer than the release of the RETAIL disc.

Then there are the ones that come with your computer that is specific to that model.

You could use rEFIt but if you're not going to triple boot, I would just use Boot Camp Assistant to setup your partitions.

6. svedekim thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. Do you know whether bootcamp is different between the to models. The hardware is very similar.