Can I drag this folder to USB flash and.....

Discussion in 'macOS' started by one1, Jun 25, 2007.

1. one1 macrumors 65816

I want to stick my applications folder on to my newly installed OS X 10.3 system I just installed on my 12" I-book.

It would be coming from my 17" Powerbook running 10.4.10

Would the applications function properly, or do I need to do something else?

Here's the applications folder:

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d5/audiogodz1/apppsss.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d5/audiogodz1/apppps.jpg

I was just going to drag the whole folder to a 2 gig USB flash drive and swap it over. Some of the items I did not plan to copy, such as automator, Idvd, etc....

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Probably not, for a variety of reasons. Many apps use support files that are not in the Applications folder. Some of those support files, like .plist preference files can be recreated by the app when it runs, but your preferences won't be moved over. Apps that have license keys won't run unless you reinput the license key. Also trying to move apps from a 10.4 system to a 10.3 system is asking for trouble...at least a few of them are bound to not be able to run on 10.3 and may have 10.3-specific versions available somewhere.

You should install the appropriate versions of the software for your computer from scratch. It may be time-consuming, but it'll work.

3. one1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thank you for the response WC. I plan on going out and purchasing a 6 pin to 6 pin firewire cable tomorrow and simply mirroring the HD from the 17" to the 12", but for today all I had was a 10.3 disk and a USB flash drive.

I caught a deal on two 12" I-book's that I couldn't resist since others in the home want their own MAC (I use the 17"), and they were both in need of software upgrades.

Alas, I am doing this the slow and hard way today with no firewire cable in sight.

Thanks again :) Looks like tomorrow will be the golden day. :)

Can you give me any advice on properly mirroring the HD from one book to another? I have only heard about doing it in target disk mode, never done it.

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yea target disk mode would most likely be your best bet, unless you already have some mirroring software???

umm in reply to your software question pretty much all of that software would work, minus one of two 3rd party software applications. macs unlike windows can run their apps pretty much on any other apple, so long as it is built for ppc or intel or universal. i coppied the newer ilife suite from my mbp onto my dads ibook, the apps were universal and the ibook read them easily. no installing needed. 3rd part apps tho, some mightnt work.:(

enjoy!