Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lxe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2022
FYI I'm running a hackintosh, but the Mac Pro forum seemed the closest match.

I'm currently using a Radeon Pro card with 4 DisplayPort outputs to drive two UP2715K monitors. Each monitor requires two ports. It would be nice to upgrade to a mid-range 6000 series GPU without needing to pay the premium for Radeon Pro, but all of the consumer Radeon cards (AFAIK) have at most 3 DisplayPort outputs.

I am aware that the UP2715K can be driven over a single Thunderbolt connection, which in turn carries two DisplayPort signals, but the MPX Modules are the only discreet cards with Thunderbolt outputs and those cannot be used with a standard motherboard. I believe a single-to-dual DisplayPort adapter could also work on Windows, but would require software support for DisplayPort MST that macOS doesn't have. I could also adapt the HDMI output of a consumer card to DisplayPort, but I can imagine that breaking the already-flaky tiled signal setup.

Is there an adapter that can present itself as a single 5K panel (using DP 1.4+) to the GPU and then split the image internally into two DP 1.2 signals? Is there some other way to retrofit the UP2715K with DP 1.4 (and DSC) support?

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
I tried 5K at 30Hz, 39Hz, 46Hz custom timings created in SwitchResX but the UP2715K shows garbage or nothing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.