Can I dual monitors with only an HDMI (Macbook Pro)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Yumid, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Yumid macrumors member

Im not talking about mirroring monitors, I'm talking about having 2 monitors viewing different screens. I see people do it where they're mouse can go from screen to screen.

Basically my intention is to just have my web browser open on one screen streaming a video while I have software open on the other screen following steps in the video.

Can I do this with an HDMI Chord or do you need a DVI chord?

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Which MacBook Pro do you have? I'm a little uncertain as to what you're asking.

If you're asking about just having an external monitor and using your internal monitor as the '2nd' monitor, yes that's possible without a problem. Depending on your model you'll more than likely need a MiniDisplay converter. You get converters from MiniDP to HDMI, VGA, DVI ... anything you can think of really.

If you're talking about having two external monitors then using an HDMI splitter wouldn't work -- you'd really only be able to run two external monitors if you have a Retina MacBook Pro (that has HDMI as native and 2xThunderbolt/MiniDisplay ports).

If I haven't answered your question, please could you clarify what you're looking to do?