Can I easily jailbreak my Iphone at home?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by iamthescottie, Nov 25, 2010.

1. iamthescottie macrumors newbie

I think I'm gonna have to restore my iphone soon, and I'm wondering if I can easily jailbreak it at home?

My brother paid his friend 20$ to do it originally, so I could do that again if need be...

All the times I googled or youtubed for instructions comments and reviews said it didn't work, or it ruined their phone

I have an Iphone 3g, Thanks :cool:

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

You should be able to without much issue. If you can follow instructions to the "T" then you'll have no problem. The only issue I see currently is that a lot of the sought after apps on Cydia don't support 4.2.1 yet (My3G, MyWi).

3. iamthescottie thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok I just saw/read through the sticky about using pwnage to jailbreak, can I go ahead and use that??

4. iamthescottie thread starter macrumors newbie

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Depends on what firmware you have. If you're up to date (you have 4.2) then redsn0w is your only option.

6. iamthescottie thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm...My phone was jailbroken about 2 months ago, so I'm pretty sure I don't have 4.2, Thanks for your help :cool:

7. iamthescottie thread starter macrumors newbie

Quick question for anyone who can answer:

I think I'm just gonna have my brothers friend do the jailbreak for me since he knows how to do it properly, the problem with my phone is that a couple things i selected in winterboard caused all the icons to get condensed into the top of my screen, not allowing me to select anything, should I restore my iphone before sending it to my brothers friend? Just wondering in case any of my purchases or something can be saved that way, or if it's a good/bad idea for any reason

Thanks!

8. andy9l macrumors 68000

So you want to Jailbreak your Jailbroken iPhone? :confused:
    WinterBoard is only available on Jailbroken phones.
    Paying someone $20 to do something which would take you ~1 minute seems a bit ridiculous, especially a 'friend'.

9. g0rdhan macrumors newbie

I'm with everyone else on this issue, I used to ask a friend to do it too, thankfully he didnt ask me to pay, but after doing some research you should be able to figure it out. Theres TONNES of resources out there, you just have to find the right one that has enough "PROOF" that it works with your specific config/setup. I too have a iPhone 3G, so feel free to ask questions

10. labman macrumors 604

labman

just my thought do some reading and some research about jailbreaking before you jailbreak to jailbreak. I spent a while reading before I jailbroke Iclarified has great tutorials you can find a ton of info here and youtube has lots of good video's. $20 is a rip Craigslist in my area has a ton of strangers that will do it for $10 make him a bologna sandwich you should be good! no read so you know how to do it yourself it's not that hard. if you need to ask basic questions then you need to learn more. I'm not trying to talk down to you just saying that too many people jump into jailbreaking without knowing what they are doing.

11. yanr macrumors newbie

Yeah, charging someone to jailbreak their phone seems to against the spirit of the whole process. I'd do it for free, especially for a friend. Plenty of resources on the internet and it's not hard, do some reading and try it yourself.

12. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

check out this website it is totally awesome! its totally free and tells you exactly what you need.

www.helpmejailbreak.com

13. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Set up an appointment at the Genius Bar, they should be able to walk you through it.

14. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

:D That's hilarious.

15. iamthescottie thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool thanks a lot everybody, So I think I'm gonna look into doing the jailbreak myself, but before I do that, I have to restore my phone to factory settings, and since there is no jailbreak for the newest firmware, I'm not sure which one to restore it to, I'm guessing 4.0.1 but I have to figure out how to restore without itunes (probably can do that through google) and then I have to find a jailbreak that also unlocks

16. iamthescottie thread starter macrumors newbie

17. iamthescottie thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok so i downloaded 3.1.3 ipsw, and recboot for the restore

then downloaded redsn0w for the jailbreak,

and it's restored and jailbroken successfully :cool:

now I just have to figure out how to unlock it so I can start using t-mobile, which I'm in the middle of figuring out right now :cool:

18. labman macrumors 604

labman

glad to here don't you feel allot better having done it yourself. :D now you have $20 you can spend on Apps in Cydia or the App store. lots of good tutorials on youtube as well. what baseband are you showing settings/general/about then look for modem firmware

19. wr3xp3ct macrumors newbie

hi guys

my iphone 3gs is jailbroken with limera1n, however it's still locked to Telstra, unfortunately with my inexperience I upgraded with iTunes and currently it's running on iOS 4.1(8B117) firmware 05.14.02.
    can someone tell me whether this new hack that's supposedly coming out this Sunday will let me unlock it and let me use other carriers???

thanks heaps in advance..

20. iamthescottie thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah it's pretty simple once you understand what programs you need, and what order to use them in...

The modern firmware is showing as: 05.13.04

Thanks!

21. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Yep, that can be unlocked. To unlock install Ultrasn0w from inside Cydia.

22. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Yes, the updated version of ultrasn0w should be out sunday.

23. iamthescottie thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok I got the phone unlocked, now I'm 100% finished with the job, thanks again to everyone who posted :D