Can I edit an existing html page using iWeb?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bldmn, Aug 6, 2012.

1. bldmn macrumors member

Sorry if the answer to this should be obvious, and it's just eluding me: I had been using Adobe Contribute to edit the content on my website, on a more-or-less daily basis. It's brutally slow, buggy, and now won't work with Mountain Lion. Time to make a switch.

I tried iWeb, but I don't see a way to open an existing html page that's been created in another program. Am I missing something?

And if not iWeb, does someone have advice for an html editor, something that might also offer some WYSIWYG capabilities?

Many thanks.

2. RedCroissant Suspended

I'm not sure if this will help you out much, but you can use safari to edit html as far as I know. Now, whether or not it offers WYSIWYG capabilities, I don't know.

Just:
    1. open Safari Preferences
    2. select advanced from the menu
    3. check the "Show develop in menu bar" box
    4. Now navigate to Develop drop down in Menu Bar
    5. on the web page you want to edit, select "show web inspector."

3. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

iWeb will only open sites built by iWeb. There are no import capabilities in iWeb I am aware of for sites built through other programs. As for WYSIWYG programs there are many options. I use Dreamweaver and Coda 2. There is a learning curve with DW. I am sure other posters will give you other options that may work better for you. Look them over and choose what works best for you.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

iWeb cannot import or edit HTML code, so you are going to need another app. Rapidweaver and Sandvox are both popular.

5. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

While it's true that Safari's Web inspector will allow you to edit a page's HTML and preview the changes, you cannot save the changes. It's meant for development purposes and testing/troubleshooting.

6. RedCroissant Suspended

Ohh, ok then. I was wondering why people would pay for other applications and programs when there was(what I thought to be) a free alternative available.

7. bldmn thread starter macrumors member

I didn't know of that develop menu, so thanks for that. Even though it's not going to help with my situation, it was quite a useful study aid.

Thanks, all, for your suggestions.