Can I edit HD footage using an iMac 20-in 2.66?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by taino, Dec 18, 2008.

1. taino macrumors newbie

I just ordered an 20-inche 2.66 imac. I just learned there might be an upgrade version coming out soon but i wouldn't worry to much about it if the current one gives me what i need. There are two things that i definitely want to be able to do: 1) Edit HD footage from my canon vixia hv30, 2) Run Final cut studio at a later time. Maybe when we finally get the so mentioned stimulus package. NONE of this two would be done for living so I guess I could afford not having the perfect performance as long as I can get it done with out getting frustrated.

2. pigbat macrumors regular

You should be fine. I'm editing HD on a first generation intel iMac with no problems. I also have a macbook pro that is more powerful than my iMac but not as powerful as the one you're buying. HD is fine on that too.

3. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

I used to run FCS2 on my 2.16 iMac editing HDV footage from XL-H1 and HV30s all the time. I also edited XDCam EX HD footage without problems. I just sold the machine after it had served me for more than 2 years

4. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

just make sure your footage goes to an external FW drive and you'll be fine.

5. taino thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to all of you for the comments. Any external drive in particular that you guys recommend?

6. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

For HDV, you'll be fine with a single-drive external connected with FW800.

If I'm not building my own drive arrays, I like G-Technology and CalDigit the best (they typically use better hard disks and chipsets) but they're on the upper end of the price scale. If you're on a budget, the WD MyBook Studio and the Seagate Free Agent Desk - both Mac formatted out of the box with FW800 interfaces. Also check out the LaCie D2 series.