Can I edit in iMovie like it's 1994?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Mildredop, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Mildredop macrumors 68020

Ok, so I haven't edited anything for over 20 years, but I'm stumbling my way through iMovie. Slowly.

I used to often edit by running the tape and hitting Mark In and Mark Out at the in and out points of a cut before then running the edit. Is that possible in iMovie?

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

After you've imported video into iMovie, you then create a Project, which appears as a Timeline.

You can drag and drop your imported video onto this Timeline. If you've imported(say) a 5 minute clip, you can select a portion of the clip and drag it into your Project, or you can drag the whole clip in and then drag in each end of that whole clip to just show what you want.

Hope that's what you want.

3. dorsal macrumors member

No "I" or "O".
    No J,K,L either.

4. Mildredop thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks for that - although it was the dragging that I was hoping to avoid.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 14, 2016 ---
    So, can I import a five minute clip of someone singing, then insert edit?

To be more precise, I want to drop-in shots of drums, keys, guitar etc. without it effecting the audio of the original shot of the singer singing.

5. dorsal macrumors member

You can detach the audio from the initial shot and insert others, or drop the second shot on top of the first and set the audio of the top shot to zero.

6. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Yes, you can, by creating a "Cutaway" You see it all the time on the TV. There'll be a scene with an audio track and then an insert of another scene will appear, but the original audio is still heard.

Just search for "Cutaway" in iMovie Help.