Can I edit video across network with new time capsule

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CultHero, May 28, 2014.

1. CultHero macrumors 6502

I am trying to decide on my home network setup and running into some issues and questions.

My current setup is a full boat rMBP 2013 with a LG 34UM95 monitor. I have a 2TB USB2.0 drive connected to the display which I use to hold various files I don't access all that often.

I have a 4 bay USB2.0 drobo that is pretty much maxed out connected to the monitor. It is partitioned to contain my time machine backup and my iTunes library. It is fast enough for the iTunes.

I have an old airport that I am considering upgrading to a 3TB time Capsule. I have an old iMac on my network that connects occasionally to the network (kids computer). Will its presence throttle the network solely when it is up and running or as long as it is on (sleep or awake)?

I am considering two options. Either the 2TB time capsule and use it for time machine and get a 2 TB thunderbolt drive to connect to the monitor or a 3TB time capsule that will be partitioned for backup and my video files that are growing and growing.

Can I edit video across a network using 802.11ax or will it get throttled?

2. leman macrumors 604

File transfers to the new Time Capsule are still slower than a USB2 external drive. I doubt video editing will be any fun with it...

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd say video editing on any NAS is probably not a good idea, and TC is a more limited NAS at that. I'd not want to do it.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If you get the new Time Capsule, the presence of older 802.11g devices on the network at the same time will not slow down your faster N or AC devices. On older routers this was an issue, but newer routers use dual band tech that fixes the issue.

Do you mean live edits over the network? Like the others here mentioned, that will be dog slow and you will want to kill yourself. You could copy the file from the TC to your Mac then edit then copy it back easily enough though.

5. CultHero thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok so that answers my first question. I might as well save the $ and just get the 2TB time capsule and use it solely for time machine duty. That leaves me with a 2TB 2.0 USB drive and my 2.0 USB Drobo.

I have been storing iTunes on these drives and backups of all my video but I would love to have a drive connected to the monitor that I can do real time video editing off of.

Come home a data dump my gopro onto the attached drive or move my FCPX Library onto it and work from there without filling up my rMBP.

I have the option of USB 3.0 or TB2 on the monitor. Is one better than the other? I have been leaning towards a Lacie rugged drive but some reviews have said the 5400 RPM drive speed is a limitation. Do I need to go flash?

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Get a Pegasus J4 with SSDs for video editing. Best decision I made.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

USB3 and TB are pretty close in speed. See this test. Flash storage would be WAY faster for working directly off the drive like you want, but is not cheap.