Can I eliminate the expensive plans...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sweeeney, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Sweeeney macrumors newbie

I would consider getting an iPhone, but I can't justify spending $50 a month on a plan. I am part of a family plan, so I'm wondering if it's possible to simply put my old sim card in an iphone. I have a 3g sim. Or if there is any other way to keep my current price for the family plan and use an iPhone.

2. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

i'm pretty sure you can keep your current voice plan, if it is an older cheaper one... but you will still have to pay for the $30 data per month.

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

50 a month per plan you cant justify?

you must be under your parents family plan as you say as if you were on your own plan, that would be extremely cheap

you cant really get a cell phone plan for 50 bucks/month....much less a smart phone plan

50 bucks too much?? really?

4. Rob Mclovin macrumors 6502

Ya, im under a family plan, and i pay 40 dollars a month for my line for the line, and 30 for the data plan.

5. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

well if you are staying on your current plan... you can add an iPhone to any plan for $40 (9.99 for the line + 30 for the data)

6. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I'm on the family plan and for two 3G iPhones, it runs about $150 a month.

As mentioned, the second phone is $9.99 + $30 for data. It's the first phone that makes the family plan so expensive for iPhones.

7. Sweeeney thread starter macrumors newbie

I think it's too much because I have no need for the data plan. I have a wireless router, and that costs me nothing. So I don't see why I should pay $30 a month for internet, when there are more and more wifi spots popping up. I wanted to have my iPod and phone together. But if it's going to make me spend $30 more a month, on something I don't need, I don't see the point.

FYI - Our current cell phone plan is only $60 with 3 lines.

8. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

and it would be $90 with 2 phones and 1 iPhone. there is no way out of the data plan. Some people try and have it cancelled, but eventually att notices and tells them they need to put it back on.

9. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

Really? There aren't any regular cell phone plans in the USA that cost less than $50 per month? Is that before taxes and fine-print-fees, or after?