Can I erase my dictionary

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mrat93, Jul 13, 2007.

1. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

Typing has been somewhat of a problem for me lately on the iPhone. Somehow terms like "dont" (no apostrophe) and others have been added to my dictionary and will not be corrected if I type it incorrectly. Is there any way to go back and erase all of "my words"?

2. Avatar74 macrumors 65816

I have no idea how you did that except if you kept spelling "dont" without an apostrophe and kept refusing the correction until it changed the dictionary entry. You do understand that pressing the "X" next to a suggested word declines that word, right? If you do this repeatedly, it could (I'm not sure) affect the dictionary and cause incorrect spellings to overtake correct ones in the dictionary.

The key is making sure you DO NOT keep typing the wrong spelling when the right spelling has been suggested, because the dictionary "learns" your preferred spelling assuming it's a new frequently used word and then eventually starts suggesting that incorrect word instead.

So two things:

When it suggests the wrong word/spelling, correct it.

When it suggests the RIGHT word/spelling, don't correct it... press the spacebar and accept the correction.

As long as you keep doing this, the right spellings get reinforced and any incorrect dictionary entries should eventually be replaced with correct entries as it keeps learning.

3. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

interesting...how long til we get a class action lawsuit from poor spellers?

4. digitgirl macrumors newbie

Good question....
    maybe a soft reset will due the trick.

5. happyduck42 macrumors member

Home -> Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset Keyboard Dictionary

6. Avatar74 macrumors 65816

Folks, I think we have a winner!

7. mrat93 thread starter macrumors 65816

mrat93

Got it! Thanks.