Can I exchange a laptop at the Apple store without receipt?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mitchleeh, Jun 13, 2012.

1. mitchleeh macrumors regular

Quick question. My work is about to buy me a 13" MBP. I want a MBA, but they won't buy it for me for some odd reason that I can't figure out. I'm wondering if I just took the unopened MBP to the Apple Store, would they let me exchange it? And would this be possible without a fee? Anyone ever done this before? Would they ever find out that I switched it?

My initial though is that this is compatible to someone getting a laptop as a gift and exchanging it, but wanted to double check Apple store policy first.

Thanks!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

First, is your company buying the Mac for you to use, or are they giving it to you? If it remains the company's Mac, you shouldn't be changing it. If it's yours, you can do what you like, but I'd be surprised if Apple lets you swap it out without a receipt to prove it wasn't stolen.

3. Epic Xbox Revie macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

When I went in to exchange an iPad for a different model I had to pull up my order confirmation email that said I paid for it.

(I ordered originally online then went to the store to exchange and therefore didn't really have a receipt.)

4. derrranged macrumors member

The store will look up the serial number. If it was purchased at an apple store, or online apple store, they could refund to original purchase method. If you have a replacement device chosen, they can ring the return and sale of new item together, minimizing remaining balance if any.

But if your company owns the product, it isn't yours to return and this would be theft.