Can I exchange my iPod touch? Need help!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by newguineafan, Oct 12, 2008.

1. newguineafan macrumors member

newguineafan

Hello all,
    Just a quick question -- I bought an iPod touch last October. Recently, however, my left earphone completely stopped working. This is the case with all my earphones: the generic Apple kind, high-end ones, and everything in between. I even hooked up my iPod to computer speakers, and the left side never works.

I have never dropped my iPod and it's in great condition. This earphone problem seems to be widespread (google "left earphone ipod touch" or something along those lines), and it seems to be a manufacturing flaw on the part of Apple.

So my question is, if I go into the Apple Store, will they exchange my Touch for a new one? I believe I still have my receipt. Or will they not care?

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

It has nothing to do with whether they care or not. As long as it's still under the warranty period and they can reproduce the problem they will service it. But it sounds like you are just trying to get the new model. Don't count on that, they may just repair your iPod or replace it with the same model in a refurb.

3. newguineafan thread starter macrumors member

newguineafan

sorry about the double post, it would be nice to get the new model but i really just want an ipod that works.

4. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Some of the forum members that had their iPod Touch replaced were given the option to pay to upgrade their first gen to the second gen. I'm sure it depends on the store.

5. newguineafan thread starter macrumors member

newguineafan

alright, then ill probably call the store to see what their policy is regarding exchanges. thanks for you help!

6. maclover001 macrumors 6502a

maclover001

Look inside the headphone port with a flashlight, in the bottom do you see any red? If so, it supposedly had water damage and Apple will not fix it.

You can technically cover it with a circle of paper and they won't notice :p

7. newguineafan thread starter macrumors member

newguineafan

haha to the circle thing, but no, there was no red. it looks completely normal in the headphone port.

8. newguineafan thread starter macrumors member

newguineafan

So does anybody know if they will replace it or not?

9. SkillsToShow macrumors regular

Most likely they will replace it for you with a refurbished 1st gen model.

10. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I addressed this question in post number 2, why are you asking it again?