Can I exchange my Macbook for a Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Jonesy85, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Jonesy85 macrumors member

I've had my new Macbook for 10 days tomorrow and I've decided I'd rather have the Pro model, but is it possible to exchange it? I still have all the boxes and everything, but my Macbook was custom configured when I ordered it. The only thing I changed was I had iwork included. I also purchased Applecare, so I don't know how I could refund, or exchange that.

I looked on Apple's support about these issues, but it wasn't very clear to me how it all works. I can't call right now since they're closed.

Could someone tell me please how I would go about doing this, what to expect, and of course if it's even possible?

2. mpetrides macrumors member

I think you have 14 days to return the MacBook. Your best bet is to contact the store where you bought it ASAP and ask them about details.:D

3. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

If there is an Apple Store near you, take it there and swap it. You're in the 14-day return window so you should be good to go. They may want to charge you a restocking fee, but since you're buying a more expensive Apple product to replace it, I can't see them charging you.

I'm not entirely sure how it works if you bought it online and desire to return it to the online store.

In terms of Apple Care, you can get a refund on that and then rebuy it for the Pro. I did that with the Apple TV when I upgraded from the 40Gb to the 160GB.

4. Jonesy85 thread starter macrumors member

My nearest Apple store is a couple hours away, but I'd be willing to drive there if it's an option. I didn't think they'd let me exchange it at a store since I bought it online.

What about my iWork 08 and AppleCare? Can I transfer those over to the Pro?

Thanks for the replies.

5. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

It's a tricky situation best handled in person at an apple store. Be very nice to the manager and they likely will allow you to exchange it for a stock macbook pro at the store. Here are the issues:
    1. You can really only exchange custom order machines by sending them back to apple and sometimes they won't even let you exchange custom order machines because they are just that, custom order, and in their return policy they say they only accept dead on arrival units so it's an uphill battle.
    2. The applecare is also complicated as they are tied to specific machines. I returned applecare once and it is a really big pain. You have to return it and then verify it over the phone with an apple representative and then they send you a check 3 weeks later. You would be best off doing this whole process and then buying the new applecare after you get the refund because you have a year to get it so there is no rush.
    3. iWork '08 I don't know about but I also assume it would be difficut because it is software.

However, apple has been very good to me in the past with returns and if you get a nice manager you will most likely be able to do what you want.

6. mlts22 macrumors 6502a

If you are within the 14 days, I'd go in ASAP and see about exchanging it.

There will be a 10% restocking fee most likely, but if you want a MBP, go for it.

7. DaveOZ macrumors regular

I did. :D

No restocking fee. $20 courier fee to pick it up.

8. Jonesy85 thread starter macrumors member

I called today and everything went very well. The customer service guy told me I could send it in and he'd credit my account for what I paid for it all. He said I should be able to call my bank 3-5 business days after they receive the computer and I'll have a full refund. I mentioned iWork and AppleCare and he'd said I'd be credited for that as well. He sent me a return shipping label, so it looks like I'm good to go.

I forgot to ask about a restocking fee, but he didn't mention anything about it, so I suppose I don't have to pay one. If everything goes as smoothly as it seems to be as of now, this will easily be the best customer service experience I've had.

9. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

HARDWARE custom orders are not returnable... the OP just customized it with some software.

10. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

Cool. Well, keep us informed.

The question I had about the Apple Care was if you had activated it or not? If not, I don't think it would be a problem returning it.

11. Ironic macrumors 6502a

Ironic

he already did :)