Can I exchange my UMB with MBP 13"?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by coolquasar, Jun 8, 2009.

1. coolquasar macrumors member

Hi ppl,

I am really jealous about the last announced MBP 13" :p and I really want to replace my current UMB with MBP13". Is there any methods to do this, like

- point out a defect in my current UMB and go for a replacement so that they replace it with a MBP 13"

- trade it in to Apple itself and get the new one, as my UMB costed $1299, wich is $100 less than the current entry level ones.

So is there any such ideas...i badly need it, but cant spend the whole of $1199 again.... :(

2. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

If you're past 14 days, no dice!

3. coolquasar thread starter macrumors member

Can i point out a defect and take it in for a replacement??? :(

4. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

They'll only replace it with one of the same model as you have, so you won't get the 13" MBP, you'll just get another "new" 13" aluminum MacBook - that's how their warranty works. Generally people only get 'upgraded' to the newer model if Apple really screws them around, if it has to go in for heaps of warranty work, etc.

Basically you'll end up being disappointed because you'll just end up with another MacBook and not the new MBP.

5. coolquasar thread starter macrumors member

But the new MBP 13" costs lesser than UMB 13" right???

6. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Be happy with what you have. If it works, it works. It doesn't suddenly cease to operate now that a replacement is out.

They know what you'll be trying to do, and it won't work.

/thread

7. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Why do you "badly" need it?
    Just to impress all your friends and have the newest "best" MacBook around??

Ridiculous.....

8. coolquasar thread starter macrumors member

Am not good at typing, so i feel quite difficult to use the keyboard when theres less light... i always wanted the backlit keyboard, but it previously costed $200 more.... thats one of the reason, i would want trade this in for a MBP 13"....

9. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

nope, ur screwed. Ur basically stuck with that screen of yours.

10. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

HAHA! What!?
    He was talking about the illuminated keyboard...

Edit:
    Oh "HAHA":rolleyes: I get it... You are "one of those" Pro owners.....

11. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

That doesnt mean anything. You paid for that MacBook, so that's all they'll give you in return. The warranty explains that if your unit is proven defective that Apple will either repair it free of charge or replace it with a model of identical specifications - the new 13" MBP does not have identical specifications (even something as tiny as the backlit keyboard identifies it as having totally different specifications). Cost has nothing to do with it, in purchasing that MacBook you agreed to be bound by the terms of the warranty. Apple isn't necessarily obligated to replace it with something of equal or lesser value unless it's specs are identical to those of the computer you have brought in. Apple is obligated to replace it with an identical model, nothing more, nothing less. Sorry to say, but as far as Apple's concerned they'll only replace it with the same model with the same specs.

12. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

If you can trade it in or sell it then go for it! If not just be happy with what you have! After all, it IS a Collectors Edition! ;)

13. robindahlia789 macrumors regular

i know isn't it tempting to ditch the regular umb
    i am tempted as well but i'll save my self the hassle. good that i got this way back in december. and we all get the cool ''Collectors Edition'' in our sigs

14. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

Pretty much the truth here........

Even if you pointed out some defect, your going to have to go without your machine for some time, then it will come back fixed, then your going to have to find another defect, go even longer without a machine, then it's will come back to you fixed, then find another defect, go without your machine for even longer, then it will either come back fixed or you will get another uMB of the same type from their over stock.

You could sell it on ebay or craigslist for $800 pretty fast though, then spend another $400 and get a new one..... but is it worth it?

That's just the way things go, just that this time seems like they did update them pretty fast so who knows, even the next revision will be hard to guess because Apple isn't going to be at macworld next year.

15. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Welcome to the movement! :)