Can I exchange (possibly defective) MBP for new SR MBP???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by superspiffy, Jun 6, 2007.

1. superspiffy macrumors 6502a

So I have a mid range MacBook Pro, just 2 months old! I think there's a problem with it, and I was wondering if anybody has had any experience of exchanging a defective Mac through Apple and getting the latest refresh!

The problem is that when I connect two FireWire devices at the same time (external HDD and camcorder), the MBP freezes up and it doesn't recognize either one of them. But the external HDD and camcorder work perfectly fine, when I unplug one or the other. They both have their own power so it can't be a power issue right?

I had ignored this problem for awhile, but since the new SR MBPs came out, I figure I'll try my luck. It's worth a shot right? :D I wonder if this warrants an exchange and if it does, I want the new SR MBPs!!! What do you think guys?

2. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

I think it they do replace it, You will be given a refurb Macbook Pro.

3. PDE macrumors 68020

I've never heard of Apple giving somebody a refurb as a replacement. I've received quite a number of replacements and they were all brand new. Having said that, they do like to try to fix things first before giving away new computers...usually they want to try a few times before they will consider a replacement, unless it's a new computer.

4. superspiffy thread starter macrumors 6502a

doh! come on you gotta be kidding :(

maybe if i tell them im a new Mac user who recently made the switch from PC. (Which is true by the way)

5. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

They won't even replace it. There is a 3 repair policy. Your MBP has to be repaired 3 times before they replace yours. On the fourth break down you can ask for a new one. I went through the same stuff. Get it repaired and enjoy the MacBook Pro you have.

6. Mr. MacBook macrumors 6502

It's not like Santa Rosa somehow makes your MacBook Pro superfast. It's nice, i admit, but if you keep using it and your problem continues to happen, you can ask for a new one, and if you have applecare and the 4th time it breaks happens like 2 years into it, you can ask for a new one, and they wont have any old models it stock.

They'll HAVE to end up giving you the latest MacBook Pro.

7. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

They'll try to give the 2nd gens first...then the new new ones.

8. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

this is simply wrong. i have (had in less than 24hrs) a powerbook that had serveral problems and apple is sending me a brand new SR MBP no charge, other than the upgrades i requested.

just to be clear there is no specific 3 strikes and its out rule, but it is a safe standard one could use. also what do you mean by a 3 year repair policy?

9. Spoony Bard macrumors regular

Ah, the irony of insulting someone when you don't know the difference between your and you're...