Can I exchange?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by pitt1717, Dec 27, 2010.

1. pitt1717 macrumors regular

So I got a 32gb wifi-3g for Xmas. I didn't ask for it and it was a nice surprise. But as I use it, I can't stop thinking I will never use the 3G and would like to have 64gb instead. Can I do this, are there any penalties if I can?

Thanks

Btw, this was typed on an iPad :)

2. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I don't see why not, minus a 15% restocking fee. Ask the people who bought it for you for the receipt.

3. zMacintoshz, Dec 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2010

zMacintoshz macrumors regular

zMacintoshz

I believe you can i went to an Apple store by me and some guy in front of me exchanged his iPad wifi model for the 3G+wifi

I would return the iPad and wait until the new iPad comes out. Its only about 3 months away:D

4. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Well I know you can exchange up, but I'm not so sure about exchanging down. 32GB WiFi+3G is $729 and 64GB WiFi is $699.

If they did do it I'm sure you would be out $72.90 for restocking, so in the end you will have to pay $42.90 if I did my math right.

5. SUN11 macrumors newbie

Wait, this will sound like a dumb question, but can you return it once you've opened it? :confused:

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Restocking fees don't apply to all countries. You may be able to get away with a return without the fee if it is applicable to your location.

7. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Just have to pay restocking fee, 10%.

I'm waiting for the new one as well, got a bunch of Apple giftcards instead of an iPad, planned ahead :D

8. Aboo macrumors 6502a

Nor does it apply to all states within the US ;)

9. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Keep in mind you're also losing GPS. While you can still get GPS-like location service from nearby wifi hotspots, it's still not as good as the real thing.

You really don't think you'll ever use 3G? You don't need a contract for it and can just turn it on whenever you might need it. Maybe you plan on loading up the iPad with tons of video, but I would probably go with 3G for my next iPad.

10. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Remember that it's not just the 3G ability, but also GPS that you get with the 3G version of the iPad. If you're sure you won't use either of those, then I don't think there would be any problem exchanging it, like others have said you'll probably have to pay the restocking fee. :)

Edit: Looks like Matthew beat me to it :)

11. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Agreed.
    I've always thought that the 3G would be pointless because I already have an iPhone 4 with unlimited/GPS, but knowing that my school's WiFi is crap and incase I ever need Internet access out of town or something, its nice to know I have it; especially knowing its month by month.

12. pitt1717, Dec 27, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2010

pitt1717 thread starter macrumors regular

Oh well. I guess I'm gonna keep it then. To give them 72dollars and then have to pay 42 is a bit ridiculous..

As for waiting on the new one, I really have no interest. I like this thing but I would never make the purchase for myself. Took the kids over to see their grand parents, and my dad handed me the box. I couldn't take it and had to open it. He was telling me the specs as I broke the seal he said it had 3G too. Right there the thought came through my mind of do I need 3G. Already have the iPhone and don't need another monthly bill.

Edit.
    I just read what you wrote after I relied. I turned off wifi and turned on cellular and brought up the maps application. The pin dropped as if it found me, but the map was empty. What good is that, am I missing something?

13. FubsyGamr macrumors regular

Yea so you can't just turn off wi-fi and turn on cellular data. You need to sign up for the 3G service first, then it will find you and populate the map.

14. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Why would you turn off Wifi? Yeah, it can fire up GPS and know its location, but you have to have data going to it to download maps. So, you could say, request directions to somewhere, and then cache the google map while you're still on wifi, then you'll still be able to see the map and get very accurate GPS along the way even without the data plan.

15. Stetrain macrumors 68040

You can't download maps on the move without signing up for 3G, but you can download GPS apps that have maps built in, that way you can use GPS without having to download the maps as you go.

16. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

The 3G feature is nice to have even if you do not use it often. I know somebody who has the 3g model and does not normally use the 3G option. But she has gone out of town a few times and then the feature has been handy to have.

17. pitt1717 thread starter macrumors regular

so i exchanged it this morning. actually just got back. i got the 64gb version......and kept the 3g.. was gonna go wifi but the genius waived the restocking fee so at that point it was a no brainer. lovin life now