Can I extend a WiFi network using Airport Extreme or Time Capsule?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kenkamm, Dec 26, 2011.

1. kenkamm macrumors regular

I live in an area where there is no DSL, Comcast Cable, or Fios service. Oddly enough, however, there is 4G service. So, I connect using a Mifi 4510L Verizon 4G WiFi hotspot device. It provides connectivity for up to 5 WiFi devices. It doesn't provide any kind of wired connection to the internet.

I own a Macbook Pro, iPhone, Apple TV. I also have an Airport Extreme and a Time Capsule.

When the Verizon Mifi device is on, I can use its Wifi signal to connect all my devices, so I can stream to my Apple TV, time machine can run backups, etc. But when the MiFi device is off (I don't leave it on constantly because I need to control data usage), no WiFi network exists, so I don't have connectivity between devices.

But is there a way to use the AE or TC to create a WiFi network that always exists, whether or not the Verizon MiFi device is on, so I can always stream to Apple TV, etc., regardless of whether I'm connected to the internet?

Thanks...

2. NogbadTheBad macrumors regular

NogbadTheBad

I'm not sure if you can bridge between them, have you thought maybe of using a USB 4G dongle with something like a Draytek 2830 :-

http://draytek.com/user/PdInfoDetail.php?Id=132

You'd need to check up if it will work with 4G, I know there are people using them with 3G.

3. kenkamm thread starter macrumors regular

Maybe "bridge" is the way to describe what I need to do, but I'm not sure.

Can the airport extreme connect to a wifi source while simultaneously providing another wifi source for other devices? I want to be able to connect the airport extreme to the 4g Mifi hotspot device, then connect all my peripherals to the airport extreme - not directly to the Mifi device.

That way, my peripherals all remain connected to a valid wifi network, regardless of whether that network has access to the Internet.

Thanks again.