Can I extend my Apple Care before it expires?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by scadrobinson, Jan 14, 2012.

1. scadrobinson macrumors newbie

My apple care is about to expire for my iMac in April, can I pay to extend the coverage?

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

3. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Is it the initial one-year warranty that is going to expire, or have you previously purchased the 3-year AppleCare subscription and want to know if you can extend it?

If it's the initial one-year warranty, you can purchase AppleCare any time up until 365 days after the computer was purchased.

If you have previously purchased AppleCare for your computer, then you are out of luck. Apple only allows the AppleCare Protection Plan once for a computer, which extends the warranty 2 years beyond the initial one year warranty (for a total of 3 years coverage). It cannot be extended or upgraded.

4. Applefan17 macrumors member

Apple's presumed life for their computers are apparently about 3 years, so, if your planning on extending your 3-year AppleCare service I'm afraid it can't be done. However, anytime during your initial Apple warranty (1 year after purchase) you can choose to buy the extended version.

5. blevins321 macrumors 68030

This. If you're within your first year and want the 2-year extension though, you can buy Applecare from Amazon, Macmall, or BHPhotoVideo to save some money..cheaper and tax-free depending where you live.