Can I extend/repeat the signal on my linksys using airport express?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by wangchunggti337, Sep 22, 2011.

1. wangchunggti337 macrumors regular

wangchunggti337

I rely on a linksys router in my home to supply the wireless signal. There are a few spotty areas and I was hoping to set up an airport express to repeat or extend this signal, wirelessly. I do not have another ethernet port to plug the airport express into.

I tried using the WDS setup stuff, but got lost in the menus. I think I need to set up the linksys as the main and the AE as the relay, but I'm guessing this won't work as the linksys is not an apple product.

Any suggestions or ways to make this work?

Thanks!

2. wangchunggti337 thread starter macrumors regular

wangchunggti337

3. waw74 macrumors 68030

correct.

you can add a switch to your network, just unplug something from your linksys, plug the switch in to the linksys, and you'll have more ports. you should be able to get one at any electronics or office supply for under $30.

once that is done, connect the express via ethernet to your switch, configure it to create a wireless network, give it the same SSID and security settings as the linksys.
    your devices will then switch to whichever base is stronger as you move around the house.

this setup is actually more desirable than using the wireless extending.
    they don't tell you that when you use wireless extension, your speed will be cut in half, as the repeater has to talk to both the main base and your computer.

4. whizzard macrumors newbie

Thanks for sharing the info. Does this work for the Airport Extreme as well i.e. using an Airport Extreme for this purpose instead of an Airport Express?

Thanks for help.