Can I FaceTime on an iPhone 4 without a phone number?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by photographypro, Oct 9, 2011.

1. photographypro macrumors regular

photographypro

I probably will be upgrading to the iPhone 4S from my 4. Since my wife and I are moving to Italy later part of next year, I only want to pay one cancellation penalty. Then we may jailbreak the 4 and put an Italian carrier SIM in it for my wife, while I may stay on ATT for awhile.

Question: Until we move, can I use FaceTime on the deactivated iPhone 4 as I can on my MBP or on an iPad 2 using an email address?

2. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Yes, by using Skype.

3. photographypro thread starter macrumors regular

photographypro

True, we use that now. I was hoping that FaceTime would work, as we gave my Italian inlays an iPad2, and even though it has Skype, FaceTime is much easier.

I might be able to add the 4 back on a Family plan with no commitment, and then FaceTime would work.

4. jackbit1 macrumors newbie

I believe you can use facetime on a deactivated phone, if you facetime a person's email address. Since you cant facetime a phone number, you can facetime the person's email address. My BF Facetimed me, at my email address from Bosnia to the US last year. Once he found a place that had Wifi.

5. Nickapple4s macrumors newbie

FaceTime will work with out a phone number,just need to use your Apple ID and the other person Apple ID.

6. bloutrein macrumors regular

bloutrein

I was able to set up Facetime by only using an email address on my ipod touch. So using Facetime with only an email on your disabled iphone should be possible.

On the iPhone, just make sure to add an email to your Facetime account by going to Setting > Facetime > Add An Email...