Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mary H

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 11, 2007
Canada
Mac OS X v10.4.11
2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

I connect to the internet, and therefore my modem, via an airport extreme. I do not have printers hooked up via the airport as they are temperamental at best. So the printers are both hooked up direct to my computer. They are not fax machines.

Can I set up my computer to send a fax through the airport?
If not, do I have to have a phone line direct from the computer to the telephone jack? If so, the only logical jack for the phone line doesn't seem to be a good fit.

Do I have an internal modem, or how do I check to find out?

Under network modems there is "No Information Found". I have a Speed Stream DSL.

Thanks, Mary

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
The two main options are.
-Buy a networkable multifunction printer with fax capabilities.
-Get faxing software like FaxSTF

Their may be browser based options for faxing but can not think of any.

cdcastillo

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
The cesspit of civilization
Hi Mary, you seem to have some misconceptions besides your doubts, I'll try to help.

...I connect to the internet, and therefore my modem, via an airport extreme...

No, you see, it is not the same to connect to the internet and to your "modem", at least, not to the kind of modem you are refering to in your post, which I understand is the "phone-line/fax" kind of modem.

Connecting to internet trough Airport (the brand Apple gave to its implementation of WiFi) is different than connecting trough a phone line by dial up. And only connecting trough a phone line you can send a fax in the old fashioned way.

Now, there are several on-line services that let you send normal faxes without needing a phone line on your side of the connection, but these are mostly paid, and they function like this: you send them an email, they send it as a fax to the recipient you specify.

...Can I set up my computer to send a fax through the airport?...

No, to my knowledge, there is no way to send a fax trough your airport (WiFi) without subscribing to one of those online faxing services I was telling you about.

...do I have to have a phone line direct from the computer to the telephone jack? If so, the only logical jack for the phone line doesn't seem to be a good fit.

Do I have an internal modem, or how do I check to find out?...

Yes, you have to connect a phone line from the wall to the computer, and the reason the "only logical jack for the phone line" doesn't seem to fit, it's because it's not a phone line jack, it's an ethernet jack.

And no, you don't have an internal modem, none of the the intel macbooks have a phone-line modem built in. You have to buy a phone-line-modem-to-usb adapter from apple or from one of their authorized resellers.

Hope this helps.

Carlos D.

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
Here is the link to the modem in the Apple Online Store. It's the Canadian online store based on your forum profile info.

mooblie

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2009
The Highlands, Scotland
If you can connect your Mac to your mobile phone, you MAY be able to send faxes that way.

I can connect to my Nokia 6600 via Bluetooth from my Mac, and send faxes that way. I'm sure if I had a wired USB connection to the phone, that would work too.

Depends on your phone more than anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.