can i - firmware upgrade question

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ShivamD, Jan 4, 2011.

1. ShivamD macrumors newbie

can i upgrade my iphone 4 on firmware 4.02 to 4.1 while 4.2 is out?
    i tried doing it by pressing the option key on my mac and clicking restore and choosing the 4.1 firmware but it gives me an error saying " the iphone cannot be restored at this time because the iphone software update server could not be contacted or is temporarily unavailable"

2. chestvrg macrumors 65816

I'm having a similar issue, I want to downgrad from 4.2.1 to 4.0.2 so the next time I have to do a restore via itunes it will not un-jailbreak it.

3. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Yes you can if you got SHSHs for 4.1 saved. If you don't them you cannot.

this is just no Possible, Jailbreak is a software hack, if you overwrite the software (firmware upgrade) the Software hack will be gone every time. So Everytime you upgrade/update your JB will be gone no matter what version you are (You can use a custom firmware to upgrade to an Already jailbroken firmware, but technically your old JB will be gone, you just replacing it with an already fresh jailbroken fimrware)

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You need shsh blobs to downgrade or restore any i4 or 3GS to any firmware but the latest one out. And every time you restore thru iTunes to official firmware you will lose your jb and be back to stock version.

5. ShivamD thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No
    TU retrieves them from cydia, so if tinyumbrella cant retrieve them they are not saved on cydias server.

7. f4780y macrumors 6502

f4780y

8. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

You cannot retried what you don't have, yes it is possible to retrieve (previously saved) SHSHS from Cydias server. This means that Cydia or yourself save the SHSH and stored them on Cydia server. So you can retrieve them when you need them. But they need to be generated by Apple at some point. If you Never saved 4.1 SHSHs you cannot save them anymore.