Can I Force a Reactivation?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gswilder, Jun 18, 2009.

1. gswilder macrumors regular

Just received an 8GB 3G, which I am replacing one of my older 2G iPhone with.

When I plugged into iTunes, it already knew the phone number of the old 2G phone. Asked me for my SSN and ZIP. Then said Activation could take some time.

Over an hour has gone by and the new 3G has still not activated.

About an hour after I plugged in the new 3G, I get an email from Apple saying my new iPhone is activated and ready to go.

However, the iPhone is still showing "no service" and not activated. The old 2G is still activated.

Can I somehow go through some process with iTunes to force it to reactivate again?

Thanks....

2. gswilder thread starter macrumors regular

Update

Old phone just deactivated, but new 3G still shows as not being activated. Wonder if it is just the slow activation servers.

Can I restore to the factory settings, and reinstall all apps, music, etc. Then upgrade to 3.0? Upgrading to 3.0 would force a reactivation, right?

Thanks.

3. pinwanger macrumors member

gotta keep the 3g phone connected to the computer...do a restore?

4. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Put it in DFU mode and force a restore. Should fix it!

5. gswilder thread starter macrumors regular

New Update

Powered down and back on. Came back on and now have voice services working. Still no data(3G) on the new phone.

Is DFU where you hold Home and Power Keys? Do I need it plugged into iTunes before I do this?

Wonder if I should let it sit overnight. Maybe data service will get activated later. Only concern is if I wait until Friday, the ATT services and customer service will be slammed with new iPhone activations.

oh well....

6. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

For DFU, power off the iPhone. Hold the home button down as you plug it into iTunes.

I'm sure if I missed a step someone will chime in.