Can I get a 7200rpm HD at the apple store?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ozreth, Apr 24, 2010.

1. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

Hey guys, if I go into an apple store to get a new MBP, do they offer the 7200rpm HD?

Also, I could afford to get the 128gb SSD that they offer online, it just dosen't seem much space. Would it be crazy to go for that instead? I just like the idea of using an SSD, but hate the idea of so little space, but I could always use an external for other stuff.

Oh and third question, is there no tax on the apple store online?

2. Huck31 macrumors newbie

7200 is BTO only. thats means online

if there is any apple store in your state, there is tax from the online store.

3. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

Thanks, any insight on the 128gb SSD?

4. Huck31 macrumors newbie

that will be bto also.

the only thing stocked in the stores are the base models for each line.

5. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

Right, but I was asking if it would be a stupid thing to buy compared to the 7200rpm HD?

6. gooter80 macrumors member

It seems from reading the forum that the preferable thing would be to buy one with the slower hdd in store and purchase whatever drive (either 7200rpm or an SSD) separately. Place the one from the computer in an external enclosure and swap in the aftermarket one. Saves a lot of money and you get an external storage space out of it.

7. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

Yeah I just did a quick search about this and came to the same conclusion, sounds like a way better idea! Thanks : )

8. gooter80 macrumors member

Not a problem. I think it's what I'm going to do as well. Prolly order the base 15" and put the 320gb drive in an external. Now just need to decide on size/brand of SSD. Seems as though Intel is very good.