Can I get a free colored bumper through the Case Program?

maclook

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008
Apple only offers a black bumper through their case program but they also offer refunds and rebates if you bought one from an Apple or AT&T store. So I'm wondering if I can cheat the system and buy a colored bumper at a store and then get a refund.

If anyone else has tried to get a free colored bumper, can you tell me if you had any success? Thanks!

Autopilot638

macrumors 6502
Apple only offers a black bumper through their case program but they also offer refunds and rebates if you bought one from an Apple or AT&T store. So I'm wondering if I can cheat the system and buy a colored bumper at a store and then get a refund.

If anyone else has tried to get a free colored bumper, can you tell me if you had any success? Thanks!
The question is, can you find a coloured bumper at a store right now?

og3og

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2010
Yonkers, NY USA
I purchased 3 bumpers, all 3 were automatically refunded. Got the Black on launch day and then White and Blue a couple of weeks later. I didn't have to do anything, got emails stating refunds were being processed.

maclook

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008
The question is, can you find a coloured bumper at a store right now?
I'm also wondering that. Damn, the store.apple.com also says bumpers are "currently unavailable". So, as of now, it's practically impossible to get a colored bumper in the first place?

maclook

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008
I purchased 3 bumpers, all 3 were automatically refunded. Got the Black on launch day and then White and Blue a couple of weeks later. I didn't have to do anything, got emails stating refunds were being processed.
That's great! May I ask what store and when you bought them?

edit: nvm, read your response again and got the answers I needed.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Those who bought bumpers before the announcement were refunded. Beginning the day of the announcement, all colored bumpers were pulled from Apple's site, and they've been unavailable since. A few lucky people found them at stores right after that, but there have been no reports of anyone seeing them since that time. A few WalMarts apparently had the white ones available for a bit as well, but none of the other colors, and not all WalMarts had them in stock.

The only place to get one now is eBay, and you can expect to pay a premium. No idea if you can persuade Apple to refund that cost if you do so.

TheBritishBloke

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
United Kingdom
Read the terms. They'll only refund one that were purchased on or before the start date of the case program.

So no you can't. Get a black one and be happy with it.

ngrimes-2010

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010
I'm also wondering that. Damn, the store.apple.com also says bumpers are "currently unavailable". So, as of now, it's practically impossible to get a colored bumper in the first place?
Yep, impossible.

Call your local Walmart. Some people have been able to find them there since they carry the ip4 in limited quantities.

Let us know if you find one!

maclook

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008
Yep, impossible.

Call your local Walmart. Some people have been able to find them there since they carry the ip4 in limited quantities.

Let us know if you find one!
Thanks for the tip, though the rebate only applies to AT&T store purchases. I might still interested in a colored bumper even if it isn't free. A few of the colors have grown on me since they were unveiled and I thought they were a bit fruity looking. I'm going to call around and see if there are any choices.

Blueline29

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Saint Augustine, FL
If you look hard enough, you can find decent prices for them on ebay. I got a pink one last week for $34 shipped. I don't know about the availability of other colors, though, as pink was the only one I searched for.