Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
I won an iphone 5c 32gb from work. This is nice and all but the problem is i already have one and i really don't need this one. So this one is sealed and inbox. I wonder if i can go to an apple store and get a giftcard for it to use for future purchase? do you think apple will give me a giftcard without the receipt since i didn't purchase it?

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
it says 14 days from the day the item is received. so i received it recently lol.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
it came from the corporate event.. i didn't get it from my boss. that would be easier!

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
You can always go try to return it and see what happens, worst case scenerio you have a backup phone, or you can sell it for a bit below retail.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
I guess I can try and see for myself. I just don't wanna look like a total ass LOL

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
I really should just go and check 50/50 chance.. im getting two different answers. haha

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
I really should just go and check 50/50 chance.. im getting two different answers. haha

I would just go in, tell them it was a gift and see what they say from there. The only issue that may come up is if it wasn't purchased from an Apple store. They will only take back items bought at one of their stores. If it wasn't purchased at the Apple store try other stores (Best Buy, ATT, Verizon, etc.)

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
I would just go in, tell them it was a gift and see what they say from there. The only issue that may come up is if it wasn't purchased from an Apple store. They will only take back items bought at one of their stores. If it wasn't purchased at the Apple store try other stores (Best Buy, ATT, Verizon, etc.)

exactly.. u think they will give me retail value of the 5c? it's a 32gb version.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I'd just try ASAP. I'd even try to get the cash then hopefully settle for a gift card. They should be able to pull the info of it off the box.

That's a great gift btw!

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
exactly.. u think they will give me retail value of the 5c? it's a 32gb version.

Usually they will, unless it happens to be on sale.

For example, I have taken gifts back to Best Buy without a receipt. The item was $30, but was on sale for $20 at the time of the return. I was given $20 in store credit.

I haven't tried this with the Apple store, but I have heard they have pretty good return practices.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
I'd just try ASAP. I'd even try to get the cash then hopefully settle for a gift card. They should be able to pull the info of it off the box.

That's a great gift btw!

I know right.. thanks. If I didn't have one I will definitely keep it.

Usually they will, unless it happens to be on sale.

For example, I have taken gifts back to Best Buy without a receipt. The item was $30, but was on sale for $20 at the time of the return. I was given $20 in store credit.

I haven't tried this with the Apple store, but I have heard they have pretty good return practices.

yea worth the try. whatever happens, not gonna stop me from buying apple in the future LULZ. :cool:

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
If somehow you can't return it for an Apple gift card, then sell it on CraigsList or eBay.

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
Even if Apple doesn't let you return it, since it's sealed and brand new you could get the majority of the cost by selling it yourself. For something that was given to you for free, even taking a slight hit on the retail price is pretty good.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
Uhh ... Let's see , maybe because he didn't buy it from there.

Your responses are amazingly mature.

You are saying that they shouldn't without knowing all of the information. Maybe the company did buy it from Apple. I guess the OP will find out.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
I won an iphone 5c 32gb from work. This is nice and all but the problem is i already have one and i really don't need this one. So this one is sealed and inbox. I wonder if i can go to an apple store and get a giftcard for it to use for future purchase? do you think apple will give me a giftcard without the receipt since i didn't purchase it?

Is it White?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.