Can I get a good used MBP for max $700?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by king.cobra, Dec 2, 2010.

1. king.cobra macrumors newbie

To all Mac Gurus:

Do you guys think I can find a good MBP for less than $700 that is at least version 3,1 and up?

Or should I simply keep looking for a macbook?

I'm not trying to spend any more than $700 as I could simply save up and spend $1100 or so for a new one...

2. Stvwndr219 macrumors 6502

I don't really consider myself a mac guru but deals can be found.

My MBP 4,1 cost me $400 because the guy told me an electrical storm had burnt out the ethernet port, and the battery was going caput. Turns out battery was defective and covered by Apple under their battery policy and, luckily for me, there was still 11 months of Applecare warranty on it (not sure if he knew this).

Also did some troubleshooting on the ethernet port, changed a few settings, and it worked perfectly. Got mine on CL so maybe you'll have some luck there?
    eBay too if you can find one that hasn't generated much interest.

3. king.cobra thread starter macrumors newbie

Looks like you got REALLY lucky for finding such a deal, I don't know if I would risk buying a defective laptop and hope it can be fixed easily :D

I've been looking at ebay, it seems like the cheapest 3,1+ go for at least 800 or so....seems like alot for such an old laptop...

Would you recommend I look at macbooks instead? I've narrowed it down to only macbooks 5,1 and up...

4. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

+1

You should just shop around, It may take some time, but there are good deals out there.

5. king.cobra thread starter macrumors newbie

^ True but I'm not too sure what a "good deal" would be for a MBP...

Can you guide me as to what I can find/look for at that price range?

6. Stvwndr219 macrumors 6502

I'm not sure how many other hardware forums you are a member of but on their FS/FT forums, MBPs do pop up and can be had for a decent price.

I don't call my find too big of a risk - namely because

1. The MBP was in pristine condition
    2. USB Ethernet Adapters aren't that expensive
    3. Replacement batteries aren't that expensive

Compared to the cost of similar MBPs, it was a pretty safe bet. The lucky part was that nothing was wrong with it and I was able to get the parts replaced. The best place to look for deals, I think, would have to be craigslist as some people just don't know what they're selling/believe their diagnosis is actually correct.

Look local, you need to see the computer and make your assessment from there. eBay has been hit or miss for me when looking and it's always nicer to have a hands on experience with the computer.

In general, I know for MBP 4,1 - they should run around $900 - $1000 and MBP 3,1 probably around 700 - 800. That being said, if you're buying from another forum member or on craigslist, it doesn't hurt to talk them down. My $400 score was talked down from $550.

Good luck!

7. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

I am not a fan of used computers just to save a couple hundred ... I would save a little longer and go refurb from Apple ... closer to the refresh should get you a good deal :cool:

8. unkn0wnsoldier macrumors regular

unkn0wnsoldier

I just sold mine (13" mid-2009) on craigslist this week for $800 after about 24 hours of posting it. Maybe I was selling to too cheap but I'm happy. Then I used my winnings to grab the new 3.2 iMac. My suggestion is to check craigslist. Happy hunting.

9. Thunderhawks Suspended

Not exactly 700, but 735, 750 etc. on ebay, bought two 15 " and two 17"
    in that range great machines excellent condition.

Patience is the key and don't get caught up in bidding fever!

Decide what you want to pay and bid with 3 seconds to go.

The "too old" is only in peoples head.

If the MBP does what you need it to to buy it.

Good luck

10. saturnino3 macrumors member

I agree with previous posters -- patience and dedication is key for getting one on eBay and craigslist.

I spent about 5 days trolling ebay on an hourly basis (as a study break).

I picked up the following white unibody MacBook 6.1:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220701172420&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I offered the seller $636 and eBay automatically sold me the machine. It's in pristine condition and has AppleCare until August 2013!!!!!!!!! For the full package, I bought the box and restore DVDs for $10 each so I got a mint MacBook 6.1 with 2 years and 9 months of warranty for $670 or so. Now I'm looking for a cheap 500gb hard drive and 8 GBs of RAM...

I probably watched about 40-50 MacBooks during 10 days or so. People were going crazy bidding around thanksgiving but prices calmed afterwards. Insanity would sometime break loose when 2007 MacBooks with 1.83 ghz core duos were going for $575+... utter insanity.

Good luck and filter by newly listed with your max price in the range so you don't waste your time.

11. deeesea macrumors 6502

its possible, but not easy. For some reason macs hold their value well, and people will still buy them (iuno why :S).

In anycase, I sold a 3 year old macbook 2.2 for 600 dollars recently, and used the money to up to the 15 inch,

Just be patient and keep looking, check CJ and Kijiji as well. but I find there's more scams on kijiji than CJ...so be careful, and if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Just be careful when searching around, always deal in person from Kijiji and CJ and you should be all right off ebay (check feedback, how long they've been on ebay and if they accept returns and etc).

Gluck and happy hunting

12. deeddawg macrumors 604

If you have a Microcenter nearby, the better thing would be to save an extra $270 and wait for a MBP13 openbox system. They seems to sell base MBP13's for $999 fairly regularly, and if they get a return they knock 10% off. Since they have a 7 day return policy, it's unlikely you lose more than 7-10 days of the original warranty.