Can I get a replacement macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by asme, Apr 12, 2008.

1. asme macrumors regular

So, I'm really, really sick of my MacBook giving me sh*t. Truth be told, I'm done with Apple notebooks. If I get a replacement Macbook I can sell it and continue using my Mac Mini (Favorite. Desktop. Ever.) My question is, is my list of problems big enough to warrant a replacement Macbook if I ask politely? If I call tier 2 and ask un-politely?

I've had three repairs insofar.
    Repair 1: Logic Board
    Repair 2: Top Case/Battery
    Repair 3: Logic Board, Heatsink, Fan, Bottom Case

Current problems:
    -Bleeding Backlight
    -Flickering Backlight, can't look at display for more than 15 minutes before eyes start to hurt and tear up, currently using external monitor
    -Uneven backlight, splotches of dark and light everywhere
    -Strangely colored screen, partly yellowed

-Misaligned top case, shifted a bit to the right. This means that if I push the left side it cracks and slides under the bottom case and shows a little crack exposing the inside of the logic board part of the computer. It also means the right side bulges a bit.
    -Bottom case starting to crack again

-----------------------

All of this could be fixed with a new top case, new bottom case, new display, and new inverter. Is it worth nudging for a replacement or am I in over my head and should be content with a repair?

2. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

I'd definitely ask for a replacement, in fact I would be quite insistent about it

3. asme thread starter macrumors regular

Would you do it over the phone or at a store?

There's four stores here in the silicon valley. Thankfully I'm closest to the one with the most lenient Genii (Geniuses?):D

4. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

They had better get you a brand new MB and ask for an upgrade on RAM and the largest hard drive possible 250GB would be nice! Sorry to lose your MB loyalty, but I totally understand your dismay. :(

5. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

It sounds like there is a general problem with your backlight, but in means of it hurting your eyes, have you tried lowering the brightness? But the case being misaligned and the scratch/crack on the bottom are going to be blamed on you for mis-proper care. They will probably give you a refurb replacement (if they find the screen as enough of an issue), or they may just take it in for a while to repair/replace the screen.

6. TSE macrumors 68030

Don't mention the case problems. Not only are they minor and don't matter, but Apple will just think your being picky and trying to get a replacement.