Can I get a replacement MBP thru AppleCare?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacFan1701, Mar 19, 2008.

1. MacFan1701 macrumors member

I have a refurbished, First Generation MacBook Pro. Don't ask how, but I've just recently begun to notice that it's suffering many of the problems the First Generations had including the heat problems, sometimes reaching as high as 140-170 degrees Fahrenheit when doing simple web browsing with only Mail, iChat, and iTunes running in the background. Sometimes, tho rarely, I'll close everything except Firefox and this happens even with only Firefox running. I'm also having the "whining" problem.

So my question is this....
    Since I'm having these problems, will I be able to get a new/replacement MacBook Pro that isn't a First Gen under AppleCare? Or at least have something done to eliminate or at least reduce these problems?

2. dimonay macrumors member

I don't think Apple will replace it for you just because of that, it is common among the 1st gens, but then there's nothing really "broken" about it.

You can give it a shot and call them, but it seems very unlikely that they'll do something about it.

3. MacFan1701 thread starter macrumors member

Has anyone had any similar experiences with Apple?
    I'd really like all the insight and **** I can get.

4. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

Have you got Applecare?

If you have, why not ask them?

5. mopppish macrumors 6502

Although hot, that's probably within specs for the first gen MBP.
    My girlfriend tried to get her Macbook looked at for the whining, and they basically played dumb. It is also "within spec". Though, if bad enough, I believe they were replacing some of the first gen logic boards with the whining problem. It's got to be REALLY bad though. I've heard different whines from a friend's first gen MBP and my girlfriend's MB. To be honest, my girlfriend just has picky ears- it's a nuisance at most. The other guy with the first gen MBP had some SERIOUS noise coming from his machine.

6. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

no, they wont replace it for that. You can send it in, and they will fix the problems, but those issues do not warrant a replacement.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

They will only swap if they believe that a repair will cost more than a new machine.

8. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Heat issues definitely will not warrant a replacement. If it's just getting hot and nothing-else is happening, they definitely will not replace it on that warrant alone, say the sound has cut out, keyboard is not working, casing problems, battery life decreased dramatically.

Also, most companies have a "lemon rule" that applies to the same error continually not being fixed, but don't bank on something like that.

Most users on here that have had their computers replaced have it because of continuous errors on Apple's part.

9. Ryox macrumors 6502a

Ryox

sounds like a bit of a push with just heat, give them a call and get it repaired