Can I get a sticky: Iphone video out

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dr. Cabrera, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

I have tried about 5+ cables for my iPhone and have gotten mixed results here are my conclusions

There are three kind of cables that you can connect to the iPhone

1) the first type simple does not work, no video ouput and the cable will just say that the iPhone does not support the cable ( this refers to the headphone A/V cable and others of the like)

for example these will not work http://www.chinawholesalegift.com/p.../Ipod-cable/AV-Cable-For-ipod-16492542491.jpg

2) the second type will play a movie for about 60-90 seconds, eventually it will stop sending the video out signal and tell you that the accessory is not supported. This is typical of the cheap av cables you can buy on eBay right now, and some of the older ipod dock connector cables. Basically any cable that does not SPECIFICALLY say "made for iphone 3g) will stop sending a signal awhile for example these ( bought and did not work )

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=220272841215

3) The third type of cable works, and works most of the time but occasionally it will stop sending out the video signal. My theory is that it's a loose connection. In order to restore the video out signal you will need to hard reset your iPhone (hold power and home button for 10 seconds). Cables like this include the official apple A/V cables and the Schoshe cables

Links to WORKING cables

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB129LL/A
    These worked with My living room LCD, but failed to work on my indash 7" LCD

http://www.scosche.com/products/sfID1/210/sfID2/274/productID/1622
    These worked on my living room LCD and my indash 7" LCD ( so far best only cable that works in my car)

Video output will only happen from three programs

Youtube
    Ipod Video
    Ipod Photos

No other programs, events, messages, screens, etc will display video

Video output currently not working ( hopefully soon)

Truveo
    GPS
    Sarari
    Ipod Music ( album art)

2. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Well I find this thread quite useful, so thanks for posting! Hopefully it does in fact get stickied, because I think it would be useful for other people as well.

3. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

Sorry you are upset. What kind of response were you expecting? If you were expecting a sticky, that's probably not going to happen. It took until 8/19/2008 (40 days after the iPhone 3G launch) and what had to be over 100 different threads to get a sticky about there being only 1 speaker on the bottom of the iPhone.

Also, you're expectations on response on this issue seem a little high. Your initial post was less than 3 hours ago.

You're information I'm sure will be useful to some but it really isn't sticky worthy as it doesn't seem to be a huge issue with an overabundance of threads. Additionally, this is really a thread that is more appropriate for the Accessories forum.

Not knocking you. Your contribution I am sure will be appreciated and I think the lack of the response you seem to be expecting should be no reason to stop contributing to the forums. :)

4. Cask Guest

Just a somewhat related question, does anybody know if the iPhone 3G can output 480p video like the classic or is still limited to 480i?

5. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

I have no idea but I don't know why they would change the output.

6. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

man I wish it did internet, that would be great!

HTC Touch has it, and when I saw it was I impressed!

7. Dr. Cabrera thread starter macrumors 65816

well that's strange.. I waited a day and about 100 views before I posted my second post

I wasn't really too concerned with not getting a sticky but no one responded

I just find it weird that a well researched post receives no replies/feedback/questions. But unfounded claims and predictions get a much larger response

I debated putting this thread I'm the accesories forum, but it deals with the iPhones video out option (ie a built in feature)

8. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

You are correct that it deals with a built-in feature but by the same reasoning so do headsets. You are really reviewing the accessories, not the built-in feature. That was my point.

I think the biggest reason that your thread didn't get many views is that I don't think video out is that big a deal to most. I personally don't see myself using it.

Again, your information is appreciated. I just think it was about a subject that may not be that important to many right now and isn't nearly as fun as threads about unfounded claims and predictions. YMMV :)

9. ajthomason macrumors 6502

This won't become a sticky for a couple of reasons. Firstly, it is in the wrong forum - surely this should be in the accessories forum?

Secondly, if people want a video out cable, the logical answer is to buy the apple Composite (or Component) cable - it's not that difficult a decision to make.

I'm sure that your post will help a couple of people, but it's not sticky worthy.