Can I get a straight answer... TIGER UTD

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
Hey,

I have gotten a zillion different answers on here...

So please, only answer if you have ACTUALLY USED a Tiger UTD disc.

Question:

I understand that you had to have Panther installed in order to use the Tiger UTD disc...

But were you still allowed to do an erase and install (From the options)?

Thanks guys!

frostrambler

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2007
NYC
Hey,

Question:

I understand that you had to have Panther installed in order to use the Tiger UTD disc...

Thanks guys!
This is the exact same question I have, I am waiting on my UTD disk. I have asked 5-6 different people, and half of the people say NO, only upgrade! The other half say YES, you can erase and install, as long as their is an OS already on the computer.

So which is it?

Comment

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
I have a Tiger UpToDate DVD and it is the exact same as the retail version. Just without the fancy label.

You do not need Panther installed, I have installed Tiger on a clean hard drive using these discs.

There are NO upgrade discs

Comment

mmendoza27

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2007
Thanks, that's good to know. I now know that when I go pick up my Core2Duo iMac today, that I will be able to install it on my MacBook Pro and do a fresh install.

Comment

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
UK
I have a Tiger UpToDate DVD and it is the exact same as the retail version. Just without the fancy label.

You do not need Panther installed, I have installed Tiger on a clean hard drive using these discs.

There most certainly was. I have one.

Comment

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
Hey,

I have used a Tiger UTD disk, in fact I have it sitting next to my computer right now.

Question:

Thanks guys!
No.

Sorry, but you're wrong. I have the Tiger upgrade disk in my hand right now.

Comment

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
I have used a Tiger UTD disk, in fact I have it sitting next to my computer right now.

No.

Sorry, but you're wrong. I have the Tiger upgrade disk in my hand right now.

Are you sure?

I am not talking about erasing from disk utility and then installing...

I am talking about selecting the option in the list.

There are 3 options usually.

1. Archive and Install

2. Upgrade

3. Erase ad Install

Doesn't make sense that they would get rid of erase and install.....

Comment

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
Are you sure?

I am not talking about erasing from disk utility and then installing...

I am talking about selecting the option in the list.

There are 3 options usually.

1. Archive and Install

2. Upgrade

3. Erase ad Install

Doesn't make sense that they would get rid of erase and install.....
100% sure.

Comment

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
UK
100% sure.
And that's why UTD disks can be a pain in the backside. You get what you pay for I'm afraid.
I can't speak for the Leopard UTD disk because I haven't got one. I can get hold of one to check all this but frankly I can't be bothered now I have a full retail disk in hand :D

Comment

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
I bought a new Mac mini tonight with the Leopard drop-in DVD.

It is an upgrade disc and searches for Tiger before the installation starts.

It is probably safe to assume the up-to-date disc will be the same.

Comment

nuclearwinter

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2003
Milky Way
Well, back in the day...

(which was a Wednesday) I had the Panther UTD discs. They were a collection of four CDs. Three were install discs and the fourth was the Xcode disc. Panther would only install if I had Jaguar on the system. I had just purchased the 1.25 G4 Powerbook 15". A month or so later, Panther was released and I got the discs in the mail.

Now, my aunt had gotten an iMac around the same time and was also eligible for the UTD program. She ordered the iMac after Panther was released. The system came with Jaguar, but Apple had included the Panther UTD discs in the box. She could install Panther WITHOUT having Jaguar installed first.

Two different situations, two different sets of Panther UTD discs. Weird.

Comment

Matek

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2007
Hmm, I already mentioned this in another topic and I don't want to look like a piracy supporter, but why don't you just download a regular Tiger install disc that will install the way you want? Since you have original disks already, you must own a license, which means you won't be breaking any laws.

Comment

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107037

Mac OS X 10.2: Upgrade installation requires Mac OS X 10.1 or later
If you have Mac OS X version 10.0.4 or earlier installed, the hard disk must be erased prior to installing version 10.2 or later. The Installer offers an option to "Erase and Install."

Symptom

When you select a volume that contains Mac OS X 10.0 to 10.0.4 system software, an alert box with this message appears:

"You cannot install Mac OS X on this computer without changing your install setting."

Products affected
Mac OS X 10.0 to 10.0.4
Mac OS X 10.2 or later

Solution

The version 10.2 "Mac OS X Install Disc" or "Mac OS X Upgrade Disc" cannot be used to upgrade Mac OS X versions 10.0 to 10.0.4. The Mac OS X 10.2 Installer can upgrade Mac OS 10.1 or later.

Choose "Erase and Install" in the Mac OS X 10.2 Installer.

Comment

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107037

Mac OS X 10.2: Upgrade installation requires Mac OS X 10.1 or later
If you have Mac OS X version 10.0.4 or earlier installed, the hard disk must be erased prior to installing version 10.2 or later. The Installer offers an option to "Erase and Install."

Symptom

When you select a volume that contains Mac OS X 10.0 to 10.0.4 system software, an alert box with this message appears:

"You cannot install Mac OS X on this computer without changing your install setting."

Products affected
Mac OS X 10.0 to 10.0.4
Mac OS X 10.2 or later

Solution

The version 10.2 "Mac OS X Install Disc" or "Mac OS X Upgrade Disc" cannot be used to upgrade Mac OS X versions 10.0 to 10.0.4. The Mac OS X 10.2 Installer can upgrade Mac OS 10.1 or later.

Choose "Erase and Install" in the Mac OS X 10.2 Installer.

So I guess that means the the UTD disc can indeed do an erase and install.

Comment