can i get a video call in the iphone 3g ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by omry4ever, Jul 15, 2008.

1. omry4ever macrumors newbie

can i get a video call in the iphone 3g ? can i create one ?

2. cube macrumors G5

3. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

Why? It's using the 3g network.

4. cube macrumors G5

Video call is one of the main features of 3G telephony.

5. Type121 macrumors regular

Huh? I've got a drawer full of 3G phones without video calling. Blackjack, HTC 8525 and Tilt, an LG Shine and some 3G flavor of RAZR. No video calling on any of those. :confused:

6. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

yes but this nokia phone that i jerry rigged with an elaborate set of mirrors and wires and smoke can make video calls if i call a person while taking pics of myself and uploading the pics every second to a webpage. It's TOTALLY video calling, and this nokia did it 1st. sure it's not pretty, easy to use or even functional for any reason at but hey. First!

7. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Video calling is an optional service that 3G can enable, but is not a requirement in order for a device to be labeled 3G capable. Nice try though.

8. sibruk macrumors 6502a

Yep, that was certainly how 3G was marketed in the UK by the cellular networks. Somebody didn't tell the phone manufacturers though.

9. kis macrumors 65816

The TyTN 2 / Tilt does video-calling - it's probably disabled by AT&T on yours.

10. fastbite macrumors 6502a

fastbite

Yes you can:
    Just take a series of photographs of the person you want to speak to with different expressions and mouth movements, then when you call them switch to the photo app and flick through them trying to match what they're saying. You can also use pinch and zoom into their mouth if they're yelling.
    It is sort of laborious but it works.

11. View macrumors regular

Yes, ATT took the camera off of Tilt. You can get a normal version of Tilt with a front-camera almost anywhere else beside the US.

12. fastbite macrumors 6502a

fastbite

Alternatively you can just use the picture here:

Attached Files:

13. wonderbread57 macrumors 6502

To OP: no and no (again)

but I have to say I use to think the idea of video phone calling was stupid and I would never want to be bothered with having to look at the phone while I use it. But it did occur to me that a useful value added way to do this would be to make the video window of the caller very small, like early days of the internet yahoo webcam small, in the top right corner or middle top of the screen. Then have the rest of the screen be a sort of white board where you can add urls or photos from your albums. Maybe even play mp3s or link to youtube. This would be cool. I wonder if we will see such a thing and if Apple will do it first and do it right.

The End.

14. MojoWill macrumors 6502

LG Shine does not have video calline 3G RAZR Does do video calling!