can I get an analog to digital camcorder adapter?

phreakout13

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 4, 2004
317
0
South Eastern MA
A few years ago I bought a Sony Hi8 camcorder. Now I have a better computer, and I want to edit digital video. Rather than buy a new digital camcorder, I heard I could just get an adapter to hook my Hi8 camcorder up to my computer. Could anyone please tell me if they really have these? Also, if they do, who makes them? Thanks :)
 

jackieonasses

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
929
0
the great OKLAHOMA....
phreakout13 said:
A few years ago I bought a Sony Hi8 camcorder. Now I have a better computer, and I want to edit digital video. Rather than buy a new digital camcorder, I heard I could just get an adapter to hook my Hi8 camcorder up to my computer. Could anyone please tell me if they really have these? Also, if they do, who makes them? Thanks :)
Yes you have to spend a decent amount of money on a Video-capture box... But it works wonders.. considering your video is good quality.


kyle
 

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
5,438
2
iowa
Yeah, use a converter box, but think about this... Considering the amount you'll need to spend to get anything decent, AND considering the relative features your old camera probably has, compared to the features that even a lower-priced digital camera has, it'll probably be worth the money to spend a few hundred more to just get the digital camera now, rather than buying a converter box and then buying a digital camera in 2-5 years anyway (which you probably will, considering the lifespan of video cameras). Is deferring a $1000 purchase a few years worth $500 now, and losing out on the extra functionality (digital image stabilization, etc) you'd get in the meantime? Something to think about, if you haven't already.
 

supersize

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2004
84
0
Most newer mini-dv camcorders have analog to digital converters built in. I just bought a new canon zr200 to replace an old canon zr85 mostly because it has a analog to digital converter and it was cheaper to buy a new camera than to buy a separate converter box plus the fact that i got a new camera to play with. I hope this helps.
 

phreakout13

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 4, 2004
317
0
South Eastern MA
Thanks everyone for responding to my thread. I'll probably end up saving up for a converter box. I only use the camera for fun, and it was never used alot, so I'd rather not get a new one. Maybe I'll look for the box on eBay... Anyway, thanks:)
 

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
6,182
1,192
East Coast
phreakout13 said:
Thanks everyone for responding to my thread. I'll probably end up saving up for a converter box. I only use the camera for fun, and it was never used alot, so I'd rather not get a new one. Maybe I'll look for the box on eBay... Anyway, thanks:)
Well, seeing as how no one's offered a suggestion for a particular DV converter, I'll list a couple.

Formac TVR $300
Canopus ADVC-100 $300
Pinacle Hollwood Bridge (I couldn't find this one anymore, and it looks like it's been replaced by a USB solution that has no Mac support)
 

JeDiBoYTJ

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2004
859
0
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
ftaok said:
Well, seeing as how no one's offered a suggestion for a particular DV converter, I'll list a couple.

Formac TVR $300
Canopus ADVC-100 $300
Pinacle Hollwood Bridge (I couldn't find this one anymore, and it looks like it's been replaced by a USB solution that has no Mac support)
I guess you happened to... "overlook" my post :rolleyes:
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.