Can I get an iphone 6 with only data

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WLS, Sep 22, 2015.

1. WLS macrumors 65816

With the price cut the iPhone 6 is looking like a good replacement for my Touch. Will T-mobile let me buy the data only sim for tablets and put it in the iPhone for data only connectivity?

2. Anneks macrumors member

Anneks

T-mobile would not allow you to unfortunately but there are people who have managed to use an iPad data only SIM in their phones only to get charged for the data at off plan rates (more expensive), plus if you make a phone call by mistake you will also be charged because you cannot remove the call and text features from a phone.

3. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

Interesting. So I could use the "forever free" 200mb T-Mobile plan on a smartphone? I don't see how they can tag charges on that even if I make a phone call.

4. Anneks macrumors member

Anneks

From what I know you will need a tablet to be eligible for t-mobiles 200mb of free data for life plan and you will need to sign up for it using the same tablet, then if the device is eligible you get the plan.

5. WLS thread starter macrumors 65816

Hmmm So who has the best plan for mostly data and phone for texting?. I'm getting a CostCo store locally soon and have executive membership, I heard about a rebate on it.

6. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

What you need to do is get a time machine and go back to 2007. That is the time when data was cheap and calling minutes and texting buckets were expensive. Now... there is no such thing as cheap data (T-Mobile comes the closest), and no carrier will sell you data only for a smartphone. It's all bundled now.

7. CEmajr macrumors 601

T-mobile $30 prepaid 5GB, 100 minutes, unlimited text.

8. WLS thread starter macrumors 65816

That sounds like what I want then, thanks!

9. Anneks macrumors member

Anneks

Alot of plans nowadays have unlimited calls and texts bundled with data, you pay more for any additional monthly data, for example one tarrif would be unlimited calls & texts + 1GB data, then the next tariff would be unlimited calls & texts + 2GB data and so on. You could be better off looking for a plan that has a limited amount of calls & texts if that is not what you want.