Can I get an iPhone on a TELUS family plan WITHOUT a data plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by melissa523, Jun 12, 2010.

1. melissa523 macrumors newbie

Right now I'm on a TELUS family plan with 4 people and there are no iPhones. I want to get an iPhone and have it on the family plan but also not buy a data plan. Is it possible to do this? So basically my plan would be around $25 a month with unlimited text and caller ID. :confused::confused::confused:

2. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

Telus would be more inclined to answer this.

3. jay1097 macrumors member

Your best bet is to call telus' customer support, and find out if they will allow it.
    That being said, telus doesn't usually let you get an iPhone without choosing one of their iPhone plans (which include data). Good luck trying but for what it's worth your better off switching to either Rogers or Fido because they tend to be more flexible with people who don't want to take data plans (you will pay more for the phone though).

4. Magsec4 macrumors member

Pretty sure data plan is required. I've heard that you can get a monthly data plan without contract but then your phone price is no longer subsidized. Can't remember if this was Telus or one of the other carriers though.

5. Wrathwitch macrumors 65816

No, you are required to purchase a data plan. I asked that same question when I bought my Blackberry, they won't let you. Seems stupid to me, but regarding Apple, since almost everything it uses requres some form of downloading or internet connection to work, it makes sence that data would have to be included.

Besides Telus will want to milk it's cash cow to the max (iPhone). They even charge 20.00 more per month than the plan I have for my BB and won't let you switch plans from different phones (with different data plans) to the iPhone.

6. ariesdude82 macrumors newbie

you dont need a data plan on telus

I bought a used Iphone without a contract and I am able to use it without a data plan on a pay per megabyte data. But thanks to IOS4 i am able to turn off data and just use wifi. I've checked my account several times and there has not been any data used on my device. But I just send myself a text and have not got it yet. It seems to me you need to have data on to get your text messages. but if i leave it on then the other apps will go and use it. so now I am looking for a jailbreak app that will block apps from accessing data and still let me get text messages. kinda like a firewall. if anyone knows of a program like this please let me know.

Aries

7. draz macrumors 6502a

I know on Rogers (and most carriers worldwide) you can turn off data and still receive text messages. SMS should go through fine. I believe MMS requires the data to be on, even if no data charges are being used as carrier treat MMS differently and deduct from your text messaging plan and not from your data plan. So to send or receive an MMS you have to have the cell data turned on. But as long as it has text it should go through with data off.

Check to make sure that it wasn't an MMS that was sent, and was just simply a text message. Try sending a message through their website:
    http://www.telusmobility.com/en/send_message/

8. ariesdude82 macrumors newbie

update. It seemed that the telus rep didnt fully remove the block text messages from my account when i called them today and I spoke with the telus tech and they said that you can still receive text with data turned off on your phone.

9. ariesdude82 macrumors newbie

you can if you were to buy the iphone at full price at the apple store or buy a used one. I bought a used one and bought a sim card from telus and I have been able to use the same phone plan from a none smart phone device to my iphone. I dont think their system is smart enough to know where that sim card is going into. Though it will cost you $10 or something to move your number to the sim card. Oh if you buy a used rogers iphone you'll need to jailbreak and unlock it which is also what i've done. I believe they only make you have data on a subsidized (contract) price phone.

PS you have a $25 plan that includes unlimited text and caller id? how did you manage that?

Aries