Can i get Apple to replace my Broadcom card?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by daneoni, Feb 1, 2009.

1. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

So my MBP has this habit of dropping Airport connections but they were rare and now they are occurring more frequently even though conditions haven't changed and its becoming more irritating.

I've reset my router, airport and all that but no dice and now i think something may be inherently wrong the the card or its firmware

I was wondering is there anyway to get Apple to replace the Broadcom card in it with an Atheros one seeing as those seem to be less...problematic?

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I think they replace it with the same parts, but I guess it doesn't hurt to try. Just as an FYI, the Broadcom card only has 2 antennae while the Atheros card has 3 antennae.

When I had my wireless card replaced, I went to an authorized dealer to do it because Apple said it would take too long.

3. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

Really?...why wont Apple put the card with 3 antennae in given the fact that the machine is cased in Aluminium

Is Atheros card more expensive?...can i get it on ebay and install it myself or something?

4. oneEG6 macrumors member

It's part for part, the guys at the Apple store will have no choice on what they're putting in... especially if you're talking about a different number of antennas. Those are routed through your LCD and they're not going to replace your LCD also just to appease you.

5. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

Yeah i figured, thats why i asked the ebay question

6. oneEG6 macrumors member

What kind of router are you using? Have you tried creating a test user account and using it as a test?

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

First off the Broadcom cards are better than the Atheros cards.

That said, I remember my old 17" had 3 antennae cables, but only 2 were connected. I'm guessing if they put in the Atheros card the 3rd antenna would be used.

As with price, I believe the Atheros card is also cheaper.

When I referred to them not replacing it, I meant they can only do it by the spec sheet.

8. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

Airport Extreme and yup done the standard different user account test

Really?...that probably means its just crappy drivers then

9. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Nah.. To put it short, it's the fact the MB/MBP are encased in Aluminium. That's the main reason why, on the older 'Classic' MacBookPro's, they have a plastic/rubberised clutch between the display and base.

10. crazyrog17 macrumors regular

As I understand it, so do the unibodies.

The airport card is right under the 'MacBook Pro' label in the black plastic hinge. It's TINY.

11. oneEG6 macrumors member

Either way, that makes no difference.

Do you have an external hard drive you can boot off of? ( I know, probably not, but I keep one handy for this and many more situations)

you want to rule out any software 100% before jumping to the hardware. These issues are rare, and tend to be either network incompatibility or software related. I have the same machine and have no signal dropping issues. Go to an Apple store, make an appointment to see a Genius. They'll be able to troubleshoot to see if it's software or hardware related, and if under warranty they'll replace any hardware parts needed.