Can I get around this problem for school?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SaleenS351, May 26, 2010.

1. SaleenS351 macrumors 6502

So I start school at the end of June and I need to get a computer. However, the school stated like 5 times on one page, Do Not Purchase A Mac and Mac's are not compatible with our program. Then we get this message:

A few students have asked me whether Mac meets the computer requirements for the program. While it's fine to use Mac to browse the internet, draft a Word document, Mac laptops are not compatible with the testing software we use for exams. For students who have a Mac laptop, you must secure a PC for testing and the PC has to meet the minimum system requirement to run the testing software SofTest:

SOFTEST REQUIREMENTS

PC System Requirements:

CPU = 1 GHz Pentium III or Industry Equivalent
    RAM = 1 GB
    Drives = 50 MB of free space
    Operating System = English 32-bit Versions of Windows XP, 32-bit and 64-bit Versions of Windows Vista and Windows 7. SofTest may not be used in virtual operating systems.
    Software = Internet Browser
    Internet Access for SofTest Installation, Exam Download and Upload
    Screen Resolution must be 1024x768 or higher

It is not possible to take secure exams through a virtual operating system such as Microsoft's Virtual Machine, Parallels or VMware, VMware Fusion or any other virtual operating system environment. Although SofTest can be installed and registered on virtual platforms, it will only be enabled for non-secure Practice Exams.

Can I circumvent this problem by running Bootcamp? I don't want to have to buy a PC, but if I must I will. Is any one familiar with SofTest? It's a medical school btw...

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I would think running Windows via Boot Camp would work fine. The software would have no idea it's running on a Mac... only that it's running in Windows.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Ask them as virtualization should be fine but the school seems not so comfortable with ANY Macs. You could just grab a cheap PC for school and MBP for everything else, if they don't allow Macs

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

You can either use Bootcamp which is just like running Windows on a standard PC, just in a nicer case.

Or you can buy a program such as VMware Fusion or Paralles as others have stated.

5. dolphindolphin macrumors regular

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you read?

7. SaleenS351 thread starter macrumors 6502

I just sent the program IT person what they have to say about the bootcamp issue. I was able to pull this off the company who makes SofTest under their FAQ:

I am an Apple Macintosh user, can I install SofTest on my Mac?

In order to use SofTest on your Apple Macbook or Macbook Pro, you must have:

Mac OS X Snow Leopard (v. 10.6) or Mac OS X Leopard (v. 10.5) AND
    A valid copy of Windows XP, Vista or 7 installed using Apple's Bootcamp Assistant

Important:

Bootcamp Assistant is available in the Utilities folder on your Macintosh HD

Microsoft Windows is not included with the Mac OS or SofTest, it needs to be purchased separately

Older versions of Mac OS X will require an OS upgrade in order to use Bootcamp and SofTest.

To check the version of your Mac OS, click the Apple icon on the top left of the screen and then About this Mac

I'll see what they have to say. Thanks

8. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

From the ExamSoft FAQ:
    I am an Apple Macintosh user, can I install SofTest on my Mac?

In order to use SofTest on your Apple Macbook or Macbook Pro, you must have:
    • Mac OS X Snow Leopard (v. 10.6) or Mac OS X Leopard (v. 10.5) AND
    • A valid copy of Windows XP, Vista or 7 installed using Apple's Bootcamp Assistant
    Important:
    • Bootcamp Assistant is available in the Utilities folder on your Macintosh HD
    • Microsoft Windows is not included with the Mac OS or SofTest, it needs to be purchased separately
    • Older versions of Mac OS X will require an OS upgrade in order to use Bootcamp and SofTest. To check the version of your Mac OS, click the Apple icon on the top left of the screen and then About this Mac

Can I take exams with SofTest on my virtual operating system/using virtualization software?

No, SofTest does not support exams administered in secure mode through virtual operating systems.​

Edit: Oops! I was typing this post while you made the previous post.

9. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Cameront9

You didn't say (and maybe you don't know) if these tests will have to be done together, or on your own time. My only concern with going with bootcamp would be that you might have a hard time convincing an instructor that even though the Apple logo is shining brightly, you are effectively running a windows PC.

10. mickster1972 macrumors newbie

Yes, you can run SofTest on a Mac using Bootcamp

My law school uses SofTest for testing as well; I am running it on my Macbook Pro (2.53 GHz, 4GB ram, 15" model). I have sat for 5 tests now and several practice tests without any problems. I loaded it within a Bootcamp partition running Windows XP. I recently purchased Parallels and converted the bootcamp partition to run under parallels, but this isn't necessary. You won't be able to open Softtest through Parallels, since Softtest is designed to detect VM software (and thus prevent students from cheating by leaving other applications open on the Mac side of things), but you can still launch your windows session at bootup by pressing and holding down the option button, and then launch Softest as usual once Windows is booted up. The support office at your school might be suspicious of your Mac working for testing purposes (as mine was), but your IT department should be savvy enough to assist you if you need it. I doubt the proctors will care whether you have an Apple logo blazing or not... mine didn't and several fellow students at my school (probably up to 25%) are taking tests on their Macs using SofTest. Good luck!

11. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Were you accepted anywhere else?? ;)