Can I get AT&T Next in NY at Apple Store?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Scott1012, Sep 14, 2014.

1. Scott1012 macrumors member

I did not pre-order. I want to pick up 6+ on launch day and figure Apple Store will have better chance with supply than AT&T. I am an existing AT&T customer and upgrade eligible with AT&T. I cannot order ATT next on online on Apple.com because I live in NY.

So, can I walk in on launch day and get AT&T Next at Apple store?

2. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I'm thinking you probably can't, and that it only works at AT&T stores. But I could be wrong. I tried to do an in-store pickup for my preorder on Next, but it said I couldn't at the Apple Store. I'm thinking an in-store purchase may also not work. However, a Next purchase on Apple.com works if you have it shipped.

3. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

I don't know about for the launch of the 6/6+, but I did it for my 5s at Apple Store Aventura, FL.

Give. Them. A. Call. To. Be. Sure. For. Your. Store. .

----------

Maybe Apple decided to try and alleviate extra traffic on launch day from people that only paid maybe $50 up front for their phones and decided to let people who shelled out a few hundred dollars or more the opportunity to pick up in-store??

I am wondering how much ATT pays Apple wholesale for each version of the phone.

4. Scott1012 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. It would be really screwed up if, in NY, you are allowed to get the iPhone 6 signing up with AT&T Next being an existing AT&T customer while at the same time implying that you can't by virtue of the fact that Apple won't let you pre order on their website.

If it turns out you can, then the Apple website should have noted it on their pre-order page that "it is only available for in store purchases."

It is that simple and surprised they would create ambiguity for such an easy solution.

5. ssl0408 macrumors 65816

I did an online chat with Apple yesterday and they informed me that a NEXT upgrade can be done at the Apple store. As long as you are not adding a new line, it can be done at Apple. I believe new lines of service for NEXT have to be done at the AT&T store. I'm located in New York as well and I plan on upgrading to NEXT at Apple.

6. Scott1012 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks buddy! I will go to the Apple store with the theory that they will have more stock (especially the 6+) than the corporate AT&T store.

7. rye9 macrumors 65816

rye9

I called apple stores in NY and the employees told me that apple stores in NY aren't allowed to do Next purchases either (just as you can't on apple's site as one with a NY billing address for your AT&T account).

So no, you can't go to the apple store (in any state) and get a phone with Next if your AT&T billing address is in NY

----------

The reps are misinformed. Talk to your local NY apple store employees as they are the ones who know. They're the ones handling the transactions after all. I hope you and OP can either prove me wrong or if not I hope I saved you a hassle!