Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BrianDye

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2015
So I'm in a bind here. I'm installing(95% done) an iPad Mini (2) into my dash to replace my headunit.

I planned on running a small headunit with Bluetooth in my glovebox or hidden somewhere just basically so I could still have FM if I wanted to. Plus I can't get a 3.5mm aux cable into the dash kit I used.

I had to epoxy the lightning cable in place which is how the iPad gets held in the kit. I also did all the Bondo and whatnot over where the cable comes through, meaning the cable will never come out unless I destroy the kit and the Bondo work I've done.

So all was well until I remembered the Bluetooth lag when watching videos. It's driving me up a wall.

I'm stuck with the lightning to male USB cable. Is there any way to get audio from that and charge? Like a DAC to rca output or something? I need to get audio out basically in RCA form or 3.5mm cable form. I also need to charge it as this is how the iPad will turn on/off with my key.

BrianDye

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2015
I use this to get a high quality signal out of my iPhone in one of my cars. Works great. http://www.amazon.com/HRT-Istreamer...74873&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=12v+lightning+dac

Ah, see thats exactly what im looking for, but I was hoping for a sub-$100 option. Do you know of any cheaper units that have the same configuration? (Im not an audiophile, so im not worried about having the best of the best sound quality, I just need my permanently-attached lightning cable to give me audio out! lol)

Thanks a ton, at least I know theres that option.

Reactions: Commy1

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Ah, see thats exactly what im looking for, but I was hoping for a sub-$100 option. Do you know of any cheaper units that have the same configuration? (Im not an audiophile, so im not worried about having the best of the best sound quality, I just need my permanently-attached lightning cable to give me audio out! lol)

Thanks a ton, at least I know theres that option.

The cheap way is to get a lightning to 30-pin adapter, which will give you the DAC you need to get an analog signal, then pair a cheap cable like this for charging and RCA http://www.amazon.com/Ipod-Iphone-A...1464889529&sr=8-1&keywords=ipod+rca+cable+12v

however this won't work with the lightning cable you've already built in. The option I originally gave you is one of the few ways to get RCA out of a lightning cable with 12v power.

Beerstalker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2011
Peoria, IL
Get a head unit with USB input and controls for an iPod/iPhone and use that instead of bluetooth. I'm actually surprised the one you have doesn't already have that.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Get a head unit with USB input and controls for an iPod/iPhone and use that instead of bluetooth. I'm actually surprised the one you have doesn't already have that.

He's not using a head unit. The iPad is replacing the head unit.

Beerstalker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2011
Peoria, IL
In the first post he said he was putting a cheap head unit in the glovebox or somewhere else. So I thought that means he is using a head unit. If not what is the bluetooth hooking up to? What is amplifying the sound and sending it to the speakers?

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I presume he'd use some sort of amplifier other than a headunit, but yes, if he's using a regular headunit somewhere as the pre-amp/amp, just buying one with a usb port is the cheap and easy way. Cheaper than the device I originally posted as well.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
So all was well until I remembered the Bluetooth lag when watching videos. It's driving me up a wall.

I sometimes use a Bluetoth headset while watching videos on my iPad, and there's no lag. What kind of Bluetooth sound output are you using, and can you replace that?

BrianDye

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2015
Im kind of going back and fourth on the headunit idea.

Currently, I have a Pioneer AVH-X4700BS in the stock location, and playing video through bluetooth from any device (my iPhone 6+, or any of my iPads) theres a delay. With music, obviously its no big deal, but with video theres a 1-2 second delay.

I *CAN* run the iPad through USB on the radio, but the annoying issue is that it always tries to play the default music app (Apple Music) which I don't use. I purchased a few songs years ago (pre-2007 probably) so its really annoying turning the car on and it starts playing the same songs (which aren't even downloaded BTW), then it takes a minute for me to get Spotify open and to start playing. That's why I wanted to avoid the USB to headunit connection. Plus, with certain headunits I have had, including the Pioneer (sometimes) it will keep trying to stop Spotify/Netflix/iHeartRadio etc 2 or 3 times before it quits trying to play from Apple Music.

*Edit: Right now, I am running the iPad to the headunit with the USB cable, and using the "iPod" source on the Pioneer. Everytime I start the car, the headunit is trying to force the iPad to open and start "Pandora" even though I don't have the app, so I have a little pop up I have to clear every time "Blah Blah is trying to open the app: Pandora blah blah"

But just to clarify the debate above, I have a headunit, standalone EQ and a 4 channel amp, so I was hoping to somehow go from USB to RCA or 3.5mm cable to feed the EQ.

I was really looking into selling my kit and starting over and going with an iPad Air 2, but the bezel is already so top-heavy with the Mini 2, that I think im gonna have to forget that. Ill probably end up going with that DAC mentioned above, its about the same price id pay for a nice headunit anyways, and itll save me from having to do the extra work of relocating it.

Night Spring - I have a few headsets as well that have ZERO lag, I don't understand why there would be a difference, but there is.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Night Spring - I have a few headsets as well that have ZERO lag, I don't understand why there would be a difference, but there is.

Older bluetooth devices used older standards that cause lags. Newer devices use the new standard that solves the problem.

Reactions: M. Gustave

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
How will you adjust the volume without a head unit or preamp of some sort?

BrianDye

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2015
Older bluetooth devices used older standards that cause lags. Newer devices use the new standard that solves the problem.

The headunit I have came out just over a year ago I believe, and one of the headsets I use is the original LG Tones that are at least 3.5 yrs old.

How will you adjust the volume without a head unit or preamp of some sort?

The standalone EQ I mentioned.

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
The headunit I have came out just over a year ago I believe, and one of the headsets I use is the original LG Tones that are at least 3.5 yrs old.

I would try to stick to Bluetooth 4.0 and higher devices. They have no lag, and save power in the transmitting device (assuming it also has 4.0).

Beerstalker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2011
Peoria, IL
Have you actually tried controlling the volume with the equalizer? In the past that never worked very well for me, but that was years ago. You might be better off just controlling volume with the slider on the iPad, but that would be a bad idea while driving.

According to the manual his head unit is Bluetooth 3.0.

I would try looking around on forums and stuff like that to see if there isn't a way to make the head unit stop trying to autoplay. I found one post on a forum about Ford Vehicles having this problem where they just deleted the MP3 files stored on the device and went into the cellular settings and told it not to use cellular data for music, and that solved the problem for them. Not sure if it would be an option for you.

BrianDye

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2015
I would try to stick to Bluetooth 4.0 and higher devices. They have no lag, and save power in the transmitting device (assuming it also has 4.0).

Ah, ok then. If I do go the head unit route, ill keep that in mind. Thank you. Seems like nicer double din units WOULD have 4.0, you'd think.

Have you actually tried controlling the volume with the equalizer? In the past that never worked very well for me, but that was years ago. You might be better off just controlling volume with the slider on the iPad, but that would be a bad idea while driving.

According to the manual his head unit is Bluetooth 3.0.

I would try looking around on forums and stuff like that to see if there isn't a way to make the head unit stop trying to autoplay. I found one post on a forum about Ford Vehicles having this problem where they just deleted the MP3 files stored on the device and went into the cellular settings and told it not to use cellular data for music, and that solved the problem for them. Not sure if it would be an option for you.

Really? I cannot find anywhere in the manual (Pulled one from the web) of it saying what version; but no I haven't tried controlling the volume with the EQ, what would be the issue with that? Ive seen numerous builds with Android tablets with the same EQ im using as their only means of volume control and no complaints.

The iPad is completely sunken in when its inserted in, so I only have access to the home button. Its jailbroken, and with the Activator app, I have it set to unlock, open Spotify and start playing and then when I turn my key off, it pauses and locks the iPad.
[doublepost=1465068628][/doublepost]Im about to say F-it and buy that DAC mentioned in the first reply.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Ah, ok then. If I do go the head unit route, ill keep that in mind. Thank you. Seems like nicer double din units WOULD have 4.0, you'd think.

Really? I cannot find anywhere in the manual (Pulled one from the web) of it saying what version; but no I haven't tried controlling the volume with the EQ, what would be the issue with that? Ive seen numerous builds with Android tablets with the same EQ im using as their only means of volume control and no complaints.

The iPad is completely sunken in when its inserted in, so I only have access to the home button. Its jailbroken, and with the Activator app, I have it set to unlock, open Spotify and start playing and then when I turn my key off, it pauses and locks the iPad.
[doublepost=1465068628][/doublepost]Im about to say F-it and buy that DAC mentioned in the first reply.
[doublepost=1465069009][/doublepost]Use AirPlay ;)

BrianDye

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2015
Oh snap, my man Doug! I love watching his videos. I just got to work so I'll check that one out on break.

jcmeyer5

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2008
Oh snap, my man Doug! I love watching his videos. I just got to work so I'll check that one out on break.

Okay, so the reason (I think) why there aren't any BT4.0 head units is because BT4.0 doesn't have the bandwidth for audio. Now, as I say that, what I mean is the BTLE portion of it, which is what makes a device 4.0. Otherwise, if you don't want BTLE, then 3.0 is in most respects identical to 4.0... I think.

I did mine different. I got a BT-45 from USA Spec to funnel audio through the stock stereo. Not helpful to you I'm guessing as you are already aftermarket. My solution looks more like what Doug did originally with stashing the original head unit behind the dash... for the most part.
[doublepost=1465090010][/doublepost]The AirPlay solution requires you to join a network. Not a big fan of that. I know it CAN work, but only if you get the devices set up just right. Doug does go through that in the video.

Also, I don't think you can do phone calls over AirPlay? Not sure on that one, but that is why I went the route I did.

BrianDye

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2015
Is there a Bluetooth to rca/3.5mm adapter that I could use and just plug that into my EQ? That'd be phenomenal!

But one that has minimal lag...I'm sure there's gotta be one out there

BrianDye

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2015
I was really considering that idea of the Airplay...but the problem is, I wouldn't have data on the iPad.

So far, i'm already in a pickle as my OBD2 scanner connects through wifi, and the data on the iPad is through tethering, so its one or the other, which pisses me off. Now if I went the airplay route, it would be one of three, and then defeat the purpose of the airplay because it would be to cure the video sound lag, but I wouldn't have video because I was connected to airplay.

BrianDye

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2015
So I picked up both a new mech less deck (no CD player) and a Bluetooth receiver with BT 4.0. No lag, it's great. Sound quality seems very good as well, good enough for me and anyone else I know.

Problem is, the guy above who asked "have you ever controlled volume with an EQ" now I know what you mean. This sucks ass.

My EQ is laid out as follows:
Volume - Fader - Sub Vol - Sub Freq - Sub - Low - Mid - High

The volume works just fine. Problem is, it controls the sub volume completely separate. So if I turn the sub gain up 1/4 of the way, even with volume completely down, the sub is playing at 1/4 volume. No workaround on the EQ. That's stupid.

So apparently I am going to have to use the headunit. I'm really glad I didn't drop $200 on that DAC.

I am going to have to see if I can somehow modify the IR receiver and mount it outside of the glovebox so I can use the remote otherwise this sucks.

Beerstalker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2011
Peoria, IL
Yeah, I've seen that issue with main volume and sub volume being separate. I've also had the issue where changing the volume on the EQ causes horrible static while you are turning the knob. That was with older stuff like 20 years ago back when I was in high school so they might have fixed it by now.

Sorry I can't be more help, but this thread just makes me even more convinced that while an iPad mounted to the dash sounds cool I'm not sold on it working all that well yet. I'm really hoping Carplay starts making some more progress as that is where I see things going in the future.

In the mean time I'm still relatively happy with my Kenwood DDX6019. The GUI might not be pretty but it's functional enough for me. The only thing that is tempting me to upgrade is Carplay, but I'm still hoping that Kenwood will add Blu-Ray disc support at some point before I really want to update. I don't need a 1080p screen in my dash, or want to replace the monitors in my seats, I just want to be able to play blu-ray discs downscaled to 480p since so many of my movies are Blu-Ray now. I'm limited to only playing old movies, and shows, or the few Blu Rays like Disney that include a DVD copy as well.

BrianDye

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2015
Yeah, I've seen that issue with main volume and sub volume being separate. I've also had the issue where changing the volume on the EQ causes horrible static while you are turning the knob. That was with older stuff like 20 years ago back when I was in high school so they might have fixed it by now.

Sorry I can't be more help, but this thread just makes me even more convinced that while an iPad mounted to the dash sounds cool I'm not sold on it working all that well yet. I'm really hoping Carplay starts making some more progress as that is where I see things going in the future.

In the mean time I'm still relatively happy with my Kenwood DDX6019. The GUI might not be pretty but it's functional enough for me. The only thing that is tempting me to upgrade is Carplay, but I'm still hoping that Kenwood will add Blu-Ray disc support at some point before I really want to update. I don't need a 1080p screen in my dash, or want to replace the monitors in my seats, I just want to be able to play blu-ray discs downscaled to 480p since so many of my movies are Blu-Ray now. I'm limited to only playing old movies, and shows, or the few Blu Rays like Disney that include a DVD copy as well.

Well, good news is, I just got it finished and buckled back together. I am completely happy with the results. Well, I retract the statement that I am finished, as I have a bit of wiring to do tomorrow (should take 10-15 minutes). I have an IR extender coming in the mail, a Pac IR-X. It basically gives me an IR sensor (and LED indicator if I want) to mount anywhere, and then a little tiny box that takes 12v and a ground, and then an IR sensor that mounts near the radio, and then I can use the remote that came with the Pioneer headunit I used, to control it with the glovebox being closed, and nobody would ever know the difference.

(By the way, I remember those days with the static while adjusting. This EQ luckily does NOT do that!)

Heres how it went:

Pioneer headunit in the glovebox, extended power/ground/ignition, and amp remote wires to reach. iPad USB cable also went with these wires, and plugs into the (unfortunately) front USB port. The radio right now is at a set volume, about 75% of its max level, and a pair of RCA's are going from the radio to the EQ. EQ then splits the single input to a front, rear, and sub output, having controls for each. (Bass/Mid/Treb controls the door speakers while the sub has its own level and adjustments).

iPad is only connected via the lightning cable to the headunit to charge, this way it doesn't try to start iPod or Pandora, etc. (I can easily press source once to change to USB to watch videos, though I have not tried, there seems to be no lag in audio between skipping around, so I think it may work great)

When I turn my key on, the EQ, and headunit both turn on, and then the headunit starts charging the iPad, which triggers it to unlock, open Spotify and resume playing. When I turn the key off and open the door to trip the delayed accesories feature, the stuff shuts off, and then the iPad losing power triggers it to pause playback of whatever, and then lock itself.

So, all is well in my book! I do appreciate all the help and suggestions from you guys, as it gives me options for future builds, as I eventually want to tackle this project again, but do away with a headunit, use a DAC, better EQ and an iPad Air with a bluetooth remote.

DBFC0EA8-9BD2-4C30-A454-148B14DA60AE_zpslbpevk2z.jpg

299A5973-EEAE-4837-B189-74D62D0DA3E9_zpsgocz2gmo.jpg

Reactions: M. Gustave
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.