Can I Get Back to 10.6.4?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by lbeck, Jan 5, 2011.

1. lbeck macrumors 6502

lbeck

I just updated to 10.6.5 before the holidays and did not get a chance to use my MP much until now. I'm noticing that my mouse gets stuck and slows down a few times every hour. I've reset my machine, reset the PRAM and SMC. I've also tried my mighty mouse and it does the same thing as my Magic Mouse. I'm certain its the new OS, its monior but realyl annoying when your'e trying to get work done.

Can I revert back to 10.6.4? I did back my system up to my external drive before I upgraded but I've done another backup since then so 10.6.4 backup is gone.

Can I download the old 10.6.4 update files and revert back? Or am I stuck like my mouse?

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Did your MP come with Snow Leopard already installed? If so do an Archive and Install, then download the 10.6.4 update combo.

3. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

It's not the update per se. Guaranteed. Although running an Archive/Install will clean the system up for you somewhat and you may find that it helps - even updated to the latest version.

However, why not spend a little time trying to find what is actually causing the problem?

First suggestion is to check what you have running in the background - go into system prefs/accounts and check what's launching at logon. Remove anything non-essential.

Secondly try running something like Onyx and letting it clear up your cache as well as doing a system clean generally.

Have you fixed permissions via Disk Utility lately? It's advisable after runing an OS update.

Do you have time machine running? On some systems this can cause a periodic slowdown.

4. lbeck thread starter macrumors 6502

lbeck

Thanks for the suggestions, and I would like to find out what it is but I've already done all you've mentioned. The only things running at startup is iTunes, I keep my system very clean and use Onyx once a week. The mouse worked great before installing the update, thats the only thing that has changed on my system. Which is why I'm certain its 10.6.5.

I'd rather not do a fresh install either, i thought there was an easy way to go back a version. Guess not. Thanks.