Can I get better DVDs??

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by biggator85, Oct 1, 2008.

1. biggator85 macrumors newbie

Can I get better DVDs?? Who has figured this out?

I currently use the following process –

1) Capture XH-A1 HD video in imovie in the HD mode. I use the highest resolution. This is the raw video that I refer to below.
    2) Using imovie, I apply titles, transitions, and clip frames
    3) Share media and use Large option
    4) Go into iDVD and select media, and drag media into frame
    5) Burn DVD using Professional quality mode..

I also have FCE 4.0 and have tried several times to improve video quality by taking the raw video that imovie captured and drag that into FCE and generate quicktime movies (tried both options – all included file and non-all included file).. I took this quicktime into iDVD and bruned also.. No difference that I saw..

I am looking for someone that can say either 1) I am using the best practice available, or 2) I can use my existing tools and get a better DVD. I don’t know if I am being overly critical of the DVD quality.. All I care about is the video quality.. The themes and titles are awesome.. I just want to make sure that I am getting the product using the software that I have.. By the way, I process tons of video every week, so I CAN NOT spend 5 hours encoding 20 minutes of video..

2. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

forget about imovie. Go with Final cut.

This is my workflow

1. Use the "Capture Now" to capture your tape.
    2. Edit
    3. Export "Quicktime Movie..." (not Quicktime Conversion) Make sure all the settings are right, i use H.264 on good quality etc, make sure the size is set to 16:9 PAL or (NTSE or whatever) and not "Current" or "Compressor Native" also make suer it;s a self contained movie.

4. Once you have your video output right click on it and open it up in quicktime. Hit "cmd-J" to open up the video settings and change the aspect ratio to whatever 16:9 should be (Final cut Ex wont export 16:9), importantly while you are here check the "High Quality" box.

5. Now use this in iDVD as usual.

3. bmb012 macrumors 6502

Um, converting to h.264 before burning is just a pointless middle step.

You can use VisualHub to burn the disk, the quality is much better, but when burning the disks for lots of people, I've found that some players don't like the disks it creates. If your dvd player isn't cranky about the disks, I would recommend looking into it.