Can I get contact lenses if?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by waloshin, Sep 24, 2009.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

A) I work in the kitchen which open fryers?

And one more question if I get contacts today will I be able to drive to work, and could I see to even walk to work? Do they have to use a eye drop that makes your pupils large?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Can you learn to edit your original thread you started minutes before this one?

You need to ask your eye doctor.

3. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

O sorry I didn't know it submitted.

4. Zerozal macrumors 6502

You also need to ask your manager at work. Some workplaces have restrictions on the wearing of contact lenses, for your own safety as well as for the safety of the customers if a lens falls out into someone's food.

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Since everyone's eyes are different, you will definitely need to ask your doctor. Listen to the doctor's advice too, contacts can really f-up your eyes.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yep. They may be comfortable for you immediately or take a few weeks to get used to.

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Or you may find out you have GPC and can't wear contacts anymore.

8. ddiogyn macrumors member

9. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

As everyone else has said you need to talk to your doctor. Your adjustment to contacts will depend both on what type of vision problems you have and what type of contacts you choose. I would suggest you plan ahead and schedule your doctor's appointment when you will have a day or two to get used to them without work if that is possible. If not then just take your glasses and contact stuff with you and if you are having difficulties then take them out on the job.

I have never heard of an employer dictating whether or not you can where contacts on the job. I'm sure it happens, but I would be surprised.

10. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I don't think welders are allowed to wear them, and I would be surprised if they allowed them in chem labs. I don't think a fryer would cause a big deal though.

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yeah- definitely can't wear them in chem labs.

12. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

My "boss" makes us work in our underwear in the "chem lab" so as to not contaminate or steal any of the "product", but there's no rule about contacts. Go figure... :D

13. iOrlando macrumors 68000

i would guess less than 1% of food establishments ban contact lenses because they think they will fall out in someone's food haha.

in general..contacts are allowed everywhere. I know countless of chem labs that dont care one bit if you have contacts on or not. high school/college/work place You are required to wear safety goggles anyways... Yes there are some places that dont allow them, but to make it sound like that is the general case is false.

to the OP...i would not advise to schedule work or something later in the day after you first get contacts. Sometimes, people have so much trouble getting them in and out, the doctor wont release them to you until you come back another day and try to get them on and off again. Also, your eyes might feel a little weird for the next day or two after first using contacts. So if possible, do all of this during a period that you have some time off.

14. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Several employees in my restaurant wear contacts and we've never had any issues due to fryers, BBQ pit smoke, or anything else.

15. AngryApple macrumors 6502

Talk to your eye doctor. Contacts for me don't bother me one bit. I really, really, like the Acuvue Oasis, but for some reason my doc changed it to Acuvue Advanced 2 or something. :mad: The Oasis feel nicer on the eyes, imo.

16. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

They only use the drops to dilate your pupils to check for signs of detached retina. If they use the drops, forget about driving or working. It takes several hours for the drops to wear off. Even indoors you might still need :cool:. Outdoors, it'll be waaaayyy too bright.

17. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Hi, where do you work and are they employing?