Can I get discounts if buy a refurb?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by soccersquirt82, Aug 6, 2008.

1. soccersquirt82 macrumors 6502

If I get a refurbished Macbook, can I get the education discount or the back to school discount? My mom's a teacher and my sister's going to college. When I got an iMac at the Apple store, I got the education discount. Can I get this with a refurb?

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

no. if you go to the refurb section on the education store, you'll find that the prices are the exact same as the normal refurb section. also, the free ipod promotion only applies to new computer purchases.

3. soccersquirt82 thread starter macrumors 6502

So you might actually save money by buying a new Macbook? My friend saved almost $500 from the education discount and the back to school discount together. Seems like better savings than a refurb.

4. gonyr macrumors 6502

Right - you can combine educational pricing and back to school promo. Together they are a better deal than refurbs. The rest of the year, refurbs generally work out a little cheaper.

5. lermal macrumors regular

lermal

Something to note, is that you can use your education discount in the clearance section. When the Penyn MBPs came out, I got a Santa Rosa model (prior season) for $500 less. The base model was priced at $1699, and when I logged into my school store, I got it for $1499 brand new. It won't be eligible for a free iPod though.

6. kjs862 macrumors 65816

kjs862

7. Silver-Fox macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox