Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LoriSan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2008
I discovered the beauty of being able to transfer my shows from my Tivo to my itouch. I get to watch my shows at work, and am finally caught up!

I was wondering if there is a way to transfer a DVD to the touch. I borrowed season 1 of Heroes from a friend over a year ago and haven't watched it. I would love to be able to watch while I'm at work.

Andrew K.

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008
I discovered the beauty of being able to transfer my shows from my Tivo to my itouch. I get to watch my shows at work, and am finally caught up!

I was wondering if there is a way to transfer a DVD to the touch. I borrowed season 1 of Heroes from a friend over a year ago and haven't watched it. I would love to be able to watch while I'm at work.

Try googling Handbrake dvd encoder for MAC , might be a PC version , and its free :)

bluechipBMW

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2008

Hey.....what did you use to transfer your shows from your tivo to your ipod touch?

iTouch1987

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2008
Try googling Handbrake dvd encoder for MAC , might be a PC version , and its free :)

don't you need to rip the dvd first? i tried handbrake but all it gives me is an error because it's like protected or something.

can you list the steps that you do to rip a dvd to the ipod? :D

Rockrover

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2008
don't you need to rip the dvd first? i tried handbrake but all it gives me is an error because it's like protected or something.

can you list the steps that you do to rip a dvd to the ipod? :D

First you need to run AnyDVD http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvd.html

Then you can rip from HandBreak.

I typically will copy the TS file from the DVD (after running AnyDvd) to my PC's hard-drive. Then I set HandBreak to convert to hi-rez iPod with a 2x encoding (fast first pass).

So far the quality is outstanding from the rips. Couldn't be happier...Well the Mp4 encoding process takes about 8-12hrs (hence why I like to run from my HD rather than my disk drive) so I guess if that time was shorter...But generally I'm good.

--D

pwn247

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2008
West Virginia, USA
Firstly, we don't support the iTouch on these forums. We do, however, support the iPod touch. ;)

And I've ripped a number of DVDs (to throw them into iTunes, and then onto my iPod touch). Here's how I do it...

Take a look at a program called Handbrake (http://handbrake.fr/). I use that to rip my DVD into an "iPod touch optimized" .MP4 file. From there, simply drag it into iTunes. Sometimes you'll have to drag it into the TV Shows sections- but whatever. From there, open your main iPod page (within iTunes), visit your TV Shows section, and select the movie you want to sync. :D

Bob Chadwick

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2008
I use a program called FairUse Wizard. The free version lets you produce files up to 700 mb in size. The best part is that it takes it directly from the DVD to use on your portable device with no intermediate ripping required.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Handbrake doesn't always decrypt properly. If you have a mac you can use MacTheRipper to decrypt (read the short help file first). As mentioned above, if you're running Windows there are numerous solutions to decrypt. To encode there isn't anything much better than Handbrake for both platforms.

Here's a quick How To (with pictures) on encoding in Handbrake to iPhone/iPod touch that I posted. It's using the OS X version of Handbrake but the Windows version should work similarly.

As always, make sure you delete the season when you're done (as if giving the actual discs back). The MacRumors community does not condone piracy.

RRutter

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2008
Austin, TX

Yes - for Mac, VisualHub or HandBrake.

Also, there's already a thread about this topic!! :D

bertbolt

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2009
cannot sync a dvd from itunes to ipod touch

Firstly, we don't support the iTouch on these forums. We do, however, support the iPod touch. ;)

And I've ripped a number of DVDs (to throw them into iTunes, and then onto my iPod touch). Here's how I do it...

Take a look at a program called Handbrake (http://handbrake.fr/). I use that to rip my DVD into an "iPod touch optimized" .MP4 file. From there, simply drag it into iTunes. Sometimes you'll have to drag it into the TV Shows sections- but whatever. From there, open your main iPod page (within iTunes), visit your TV Shows section, and select the movie you want to sync. :D

Hi.

Was wondering if you could help me. Done exactly as you have said in the message above however having trouble actually getting the dvd on my ipod touch. When i go to sync ipod it just simply says that this dvd cannot be copied onto this ipod?? Was wondering if you had any tips??

Thanks

bertbolt

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2009
Handbrake will decode encrypted encoded DVDs right from your drive as long as you have VLC installed on your system as well.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

You don't even have to run VLC at the same time.

Hi.

do have VLC installed. Is there any other reason why this is happening or something obvious that i might be doing wrong. I say this because i am pretty sure i am doing everything right but i am very new to mac and not very computer literate. (if you know what i mean).

Thanks

macsarethebest

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2009
Hi.

do have VLC installed. Is there any other reason why this is happening or something obvious that i might be doing wrong. I say this because i am pretty sure i am doing everything right but i am very new to mac and not very computer literate. (if you know what i mean).

Thanks

vlc has to be in you Applications folder. Can't think of anything else....

bertbolt

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2009
vlc has to be in you Applications folder. Can't think of anything else....

Can play the dvd on itunes as a movie but whenever i go to sync my ipod to itunes it says 'cannot sync as this dvd cannot be played on this ipod'

This gives me the an indication that there is something not compatible about my Ipod? However just updated my Ipod with mac so i assume it has all the current and relevant software on it.

I have the very first ipod touch that came out with 15 GB memory.

macsarethebest

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2009
Can play the dvd on itunes as a movie but whenever i go to sync my ipod to itunes it says 'cannot sync as this dvd cannot be played on this ipod'

This gives me the an indication that there is something not compatible about my Ipod? However just updated my Ipod with mac so i assume it has all the current and relevant software on it.

I have the very first ipod touch that came out with 15 GB memory.

Try option clicking and see if there is a 'convert to iPhone/iPod touch' option.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Given that iTouch is just a suite of touchscreen applications for a Windows PC - just insert the DVD and run VLC or any other DVD playback software.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.