Can I get Internet and email on unlocked iphone?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by thejoe, Oct 23, 2007.

1. thejoe macrumors newbie

Hello,

This last weekend I bought a new iPhone 1.1.1 and followed a post on this forum to unlock, jailbreak, and bypass AT&T activation.

I have Sprint service and they don't have SIM cards, so I went out and bought a T-Mobile pre-paid SIM card and added some minutes.

The question I have is I'm able to make calls and send test messages. But I want to know if I can use the Internet and send emails or get onto the EDGE network with T-Mobile pre-paid or can I only do that with Wi-Fi?

Thanks,

thejoe

2. beeeen macrumors member

If the pre-paid sim card comes with internet usage, then yes you can use the internet. However, you will only have a limited amount of usage. Using an iPhone with no internet usage is really pointless, imo. You might want to think about switching over to at&t.

3. thejoe thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I'll have to goto T-Mobile and see if their pre-paid sim cards have internet and email add on options.

Well If I switch to AT&T then there would be no need to jailbreak, unlock, or bypass activation on the iPhone.

Thanks

thejoe

4. ROBLO83 macrumors newbie

Edge Connection Help

i had internet working on iphone using t-mobile sim card but know it's saying that edge is not subscribed to edge anyone know what to do?

5. andylo macrumors newbie

hey if the prepay doesn't come with internet usuage... can i still access web and email through wifi with iphone?

6. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

Yes you can. Without any activation, it will function like an iPod touch.

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Poor choice of words.

Without activation, you can do absolutely nothing.
    With activation, it acts as an iPod touch.
    With jailbreaking, it acts as a jailbroken iPod touch.
    With unlocking, it acts as any GSM phone in the world.

8. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

My old iPhone is so no longer activated, nor has it been unlocked or jailbroken, and I can definitely use it as an iPod touch. Its been restored; and when I turn it on, it even says "Waiting for Activation".

9. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

If you are at that screen, you can't get anywhere else. It can't be used for anything.

10. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

That's not true.

[​IMG]

11. mak10 macrumors regular

what else can you do on the "waiting for activation" screen (besides make an emergeny call)?? As far as i was aware you couldn't do anything. Now if you bypass the activation screen, then it will act as an iPod touch, just as Tallest Skil said...

activation does not mean that it's activated on a cell network, it just means that the phone is activated, bypassing that screen....