Can I get into files from another account? Please help, its urgent.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by vanroe214, Feb 24, 2012.

1. vanroe214 macrumors newbie

Basically, my mac won't let me log into my account but it will let me log into my mother's account. Its not a password thing, because I don't have a password and the screen doesn't shake when I hit enter. There is probably something wrong with my account but I really don't care about that at this point, I just want my homework files I have on there, I have a paper due tomorrow and I really need it. Is there ANY possible way to access my files from my moms account? I already tried going into the "users" folder but of course, all my folders are locked. Can I unlock them from my moms account or is there any other way to get into them? Please somebody help me ASAP, I need that paper.

2. redache macrumors member

If your mothers account has admin access you can also use the terminal and sudo to achieve what you want.

You'll find the Terminal in either Launchpad or your Applications Folder under Utilities OR you can hit command + space and type Terminal into spotlight and go from there.

Here's an example of the terminal command you'd need to use to copy those file over.

Code:
    sudo cp /Users/yourusername/Documents/fileiwant .

It'll ask you for your mothers account password which you won't have any feedback for whilst typing (a security feature). If it works you should find the files in your current directory (which will be your home folder).

3. Montymitch macrumors regular

Montymitch

You can also get in there with a Ubuntu install disk.