Can I Get More Ring Time?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by warburg, Jun 27, 2009.

1. warburg macrumors 6502

I have an iphne 3gs (32 mg). When a call comes in the phone rings for about 20 seconds. Before I get it out of my pocket and work the slide to answer, there often is a hang up. There doesn't seem to be anything in Settings to increase the number of rings. Is there any other way I can do this?

2. synagence macrumors 6502a

You can usually alter the time before voicemail with a long series of numbers ... google for your network and you'll find it (not sure if its the same globally)

For O2 in the UK i belive its: **61*901*11*NN# then CALL
    NN is the time (up to 30s max)

3. DotCom2 macrumors 68030

Are you with AT&T?
    If so, you can just call them and they will extend the ring time.
    That's what I did on all three of our phones. They can do it OTA but 30 sec's is the longest they can do if I remember correctly.

4. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

It is closer to 22 sec for a more exact length. I figured that out when I was making a ring tone for one my older phones threw multiple test. The 22 sec is ATT length. 22 sec also seems to be about 5-6 rings for the caller.

Also the 22sec is also how your phone will ring even if it takes 3 rings from the caller end to connect to your phone. But remember it takes a ring or 2 on the caller side before your phone is located and connected to threw the cell network. That length of time seems to be pretty typical across multiple networks.

5. moviebrain macrumors member

For wireline phones ring cycles go in multiples of 6 seconds, 2s ring, 4s silence.

Because of that holdover most carriers will set the ringcycle to 18, 24, or 30 seconds. That's 3, 4, or 5 "rings", but custom ringtones have really put an end to the hard-coded time requirement.

It's also the reason iTunes sets the length of a ringtone purchase to between 15 and 30 seconds.

6. warburg thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, I bought the phone from AT@T, so I'll call them. Thanks all for your responses. :)

7. Cobrakev macrumors newbie

Is this why the song cuts out for a quick sec before it plays again? I am trying to get the ring to to play for the whole 30 sec, but it cuts in and out during the time limit.