Can I get my iPhone 3G Back?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ayeplussjr, Aug 10, 2009.

1. ayeplussjr macrumors regular

I just lost my 3G iPhone a couple of weeks ago and purchased the 3G S. I was wondering if anybody knows if I would be able to get my iPhone 3G back. I called Apple and they said that my serial number is currently in use. So...someone has it and is using it. I called my local police department and they said that they will not investigate cell phones.

Is there anything I can do? Apple won't give me more information than telling me that it's being used, and AT&T is just giving me so much misinformation.

Anybody have any experience with this? Thanks for the information guys!!!

2. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

Not too much you can do. Police department is about it I would say.

3. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I've never heard anyone of getting an iPhone back just by having a serial number. I think they might get denied service if they take it to a Genius Bar.

4. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

It's probably Jailbroke and unlocked, doubt that you'll get it back; nice thought though. Remember LOST is not STOLEN....:(

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You cant do anything.
    AT&T doesnt even blacklist imei numbers. So stolen cellphones can be used and activated again on someone elses account without a problem. I know in Europe and many other places once the phone is stolen and serial number and IMEI is blacklisted they cant use it on any network that shares the same blacklist.
    The only way you can get it back is if you find your iphone and check that serial number is the same and then prove to the police thru a box or sales receipt that its your stolen phone. In the meantime have the person with the stolen phone allow you to check their phone and wait for the cops to come.
    You wont get any help locating it from Apple or AT&T.
    And since you didnt have mobile me or any trace software installed on it then your odds are very very slim.
    Good luck though.

6. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

Unless if you've got mobileme installed, or really good luck, you're kind of SOL. Sorry for the loss.