Can I get my MacBook replaced if....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Blonderator, Jan 7, 2007.

  1. Blonderator macrumors newbie

    Jan 6, 2007
    Hey everyone...

    It's kinda late to ask this, but I bought my MacBook about a month before the C2D update (I just couldn't wait!) and when the C2D model came out, I was angry. Had I waited a month, I could have gotten twice the ram and 40 more GB's of harddrive space for the exact same price.
    I'm still on warranty, and I would like to know Apple's policy on replacing old models? Like, could I go to the Apple store and convince a representative I was ripped off and get a new model? I was just wondering.

    Thanks in advance for any replies.
  2. EricNau Moderator emeritus


    Apr 27, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Sorry, but it's not going to happen. Apple is very strict about any returns.
  3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor


    Staff Member

    Jan 20, 2005
    Nope...sorry. There's zero chance of them taking back a three-month old laptop. You weren't ripped paid for and received what was on the market at the time.
  4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus


    Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    Erm.. you weren't ripped off. You bought it a month before the new models came out. Did you expect that Apple would never update the MacBook again? :confused:

    Sorry... for what it's worth, Apple's been known to do this, but only when you're upgrading to something more expensive and when you do it right away. This is a Core Duo MacBook bought a month before the C2Ds come out. That would make it... three or four months old now? And it has nothing wrong with it. No, Apple is not going to let you turn in it in and give you a C2D.

    You could consider selling it here or on eBay, though, if it bothers you that much. Resale values are generally quite good. And I guess if you also get a used or refurbed MB C2D, the delta cost to you won't be that large.
  5. Blonderator thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jan 6, 2007
    Wow, thanks for the quick reply. Okay, that's fine. Next time, I'm not buying a product from Apple when it is still new.
  6. jnc macrumors 68020


    Jan 7, 2007
    Nunya, Business TX
    Core Duos had been in Mac portables since Macworld in January. A new chip was due even before MacBooks were unveiled in June, given the refresh cycle Intel now afforded Apple.

    Like mkrishnan said... an update was clearly on the cards.
  7. Quboid macrumors 6502

    Oct 16, 2006
    I bought my Ibook last january. maybe the dumbest thing i ever did.
    maybe not:rolleyes:
  8. faustfire macrumors 6502a


    Jul 17, 2002
    I cant believe how many of these type of threads people start. It's embarrassing.
  9. jnc macrumors 68020


    Jan 7, 2007
    Nunya, Business TX
    Hey, I'm still after a G4 iBook and iMac. The iBook for my mom, because she does not need Intel... anything. Music, word processing and web browsing is all she has to do, and she hogs my iMac Core Duo when I'm back home from University. :mad:

    That, and the G4 is a timeless machine regardless of its power. :D
  10. TequilaBoobs macrumors 6502a


    Nov 12, 2006
    i waited very patiently for the c2d release, since its CD release actually. people wish they had waited so they couldve gotten a better deal, but forget that they were able to play around on their 'new' toy while the patient peeps suffered month after month of rumors of this upgrade. using a laptop will cost you money, whether you lease or buy, so you didnt get gipped. and an update is inevitable, and hopefully as in this case, will be better than before.
  11. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603


    Jan 10, 2006
    When I was naive to the way Apple goes about launching products I paid £1000 (ish) for the 20" ACD literally 1 week later it was availalbe for £549 and had better specs. I couldnt do diddly about it.

    Altough I have learned since then there is a 14 day return policy. Isnt there?
  12. jnc macrumors 68020


    Jan 7, 2007
    Nunya, Business TX
    There is. If you buy and they update the machine or drop the price within two weeks of purchase you are refunded accordingly.
  13. richard4339 macrumors 6502a


    Sep 6, 2006
    A couple of users on here (me included) got the MBPs replaced for the 10% restocking fee + upgrade costs if any, and we were within 3 weeks, but that's all I've heard. I never reported it on here, but I actually got a call from Apple Customer Care (a manager in customer care no less) the day I received the new MBP in the mail; they asked me to repeat the conversation I had with the operator I spoke with, and then asked me again why I was returning it. She then told me that since I had been told I could return it for an upgrade, I would still be allowed to, but that the operator I spoke to was not authorized to make that decision and would more than likely be terminated. I kinda felt sorry for the original girl I spoke too after that.

    So to answer your question the same way everyone else did, if you had called them the day the C2D model had come out, you might have had a chance, but now, there's not a shot in the dark. Your best bet is to see if you can sell it on eBay and recoup most of the money you'd need to buy a newer model.
  14. rjphoto macrumors 6502a


    Mar 7, 2005
    The company I work for has a very lame purchasing department. It has however worked out well once when buying an iBook. It took so long to go though the approval process the new models were released before they made the order.

    Other than that I've been on the wrong side of a new release a few time:

    PPC 8500 2 months before 8600
    PowerBook G3 just before TiBook G4
    Intel iMac 20" 3 weeks before iMac 24"

    You get what you need when you need it or you will wait forever.
  15. iW00t macrumors 68040


    Nov 7, 2006
    Defenders of Apple Guild
    Next time just buy refurbished machines, less money = less anguish :)
  16. phungy macrumors 68020


    Dec 5, 2006
    It's simple. If you don't like it, don't read it. Don't bother posting either. :rolleyes:
  17. zendoki macrumors newbie

    Jan 15, 2007
    You Can if...

    Today Apple agreed to take back my Macbook Core Duo that I also bought about a week before they were releasing the C2D. I will be getting a full refund which with the upgrades I paid extra for will allow me to buy a Blackbook with a higher spec!!!. Ok so I've had a replacement Optical Drive already and the new one still stalls on importing CDs. If your MB CD stalls on importing CDs you can deffo get a refund. They will try to fob you off with a repair (which won't work). Then they will offer you a new machine altogether (but not a C2D machine). Insist on a refund.

    p.s. does anyone have problems importing CDs with a C2D? I'm going back to a specced up 2nd hand G4 for the moment

Share This Page